Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tube to WF
- - By TSFweld Date 02-16-2006 15:27
I have a 10"x10" tube that welds to the top of a wide flange shape with backing. I am being told that I need to have our welders qualified to 6GR as per table 4.9. I had intended to weld in position using our plate 3G WQR and prequalified WPS TC-U4a-GF (FCAW). Help!
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 02-16-2006 16:27
I would disagree since you are welding with backing.

Reading across the top line of table 4.9
The plate groove weld test your welders passed qualifies them for CJP production box tube butt and groove welding with backing.
If I understand you correctly, the pipe is vertical rising up from the top flange of a WF beam, when you say "in position", is all the welding horizontal?

Tabel 4.9 Note #7: qualifying with fig 4.27 (6GR) is only required in the event you want to weld without backing, with an open root.
Parent - - By TSFweld Date 02-17-2006 01:44
Thanks, as I agree with you but needed some reinforcing. The square tube is rising up vertically from the top flange and we intend to weld in horizontal position. The argument I am getting is that it is a T joint and is tubular connection therefore it requires 6GR qualification as per 4.9. I have interpreted 4.9 as you, that my plate groove weld test qualified me for CJP tube to plate (WF) with backing. I wish there was a better distinction for tubular and pipe to plate.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 02-17-2006 13:40
Try discussing this then:
AWS D1.1 -2004 section 4.26 page 127. "CJP Groove Welds for Tubular Connections"

Welder or welding operator qualification tests shall use the following details:

(3) For CJP groove butt joints, or T, Y, and K connections with backing in box tubing. - Use fig. 4.25 in pipe, (any dia), plate, or box tubing.

Again, as long as you use backing-whats not to like?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tube to WF