Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Low Hydrogen Welding Rods ATOM ARC
- - By fleetweldroot Date 02-19-2006 04:56
Hello Everyone I am currently working on a LNG plant in Milford Haven UK for a American company and we are using a welding rod called ATOM ARC they are a low hydrogen based electrode that give off a lot of fumes, so much in fact that a lot of the welders are complaining of chest problems and headaches have any of you guys heard of or used these rods, or know anything about them, We realy would appreciate any light you can shed on this subject, We need all the help we can get. THANKS A LOT
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 02-19-2006 05:00
Why don't you ask your employer for a copy of the "Material Safety Data Sheet" (MSDS)?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-19-2006 05:42
Hello fleetweldroot, you said that you are working in a LNG Plant. Would this be new construction or would this be an upgrade or repair of an existing plant? The reason that I am asking is that Atom Arc brand E7018 is a fairly popular and preferred rod of many stick welders out in industry and as far as I know E7018 electrode in general doesn't have any really noxious fumes that would cause the types of things that you say that the welders are experiencing. That would lead me to believe that there is a possibility of some other sort of chemical, paint, solvent or lest I forget galvanized, cadmium plated or some other sort of plating that may be reacting with the welding to make the welders feel sick or otherwise. Any sort of paint, chemical, solvent, or plating that is being burned by the welding that is occurring could be producing toxic fumes, there is also a particular solvent that is photochemically reactive with a welding arc that will produce phosgene gas (I'm sorry I can't remember the specific solvent,although I know other forum members will remember for me) and this gas can be very deadly. As you look at the MSDS for the Atom Arc E7018, you should also do some investigating concerning the other things that I have mentioned about chemicals, paints, solvents and platings. Best Regards and Good Luck, aevald
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-19-2006 14:16

http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/msds/e/esa_esab/filler%20metals/7970-l.pdf
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-20-2006 21:47
I've welded with Atom Arc rods for years and found them to be excellent electrodes. I agree with aevald, look for other causes of the problems you describe. One additional item, are you being provided with proper, adequate ventilation?

Best regards - Al

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Low Hydrogen Welding Rods ATOM ARC