Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brands of Torches
- - By Mudbone1 Date 02-05-2006 23:17
I need to buy a gas ox/ace torch outfit. I am wondering what brands I should consider. I have looked at ESAB, Harris, Victor, and Victor's econo line, Medalist. Any others I should consider. Any one of them that stands out above the rest?

Also looked at Smith today. ....Anyone have an opinion?
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-09-2006 00:53
All the above are good quality. If we knew what you wanted to do with it, we
might be able to advise you further.
Parent - - By panaya (*) Date 02-09-2006 11:46
Harris is the best.
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 02-10-2006 14:27
Since this is an open forum and subject to personal opinions, I will put mine in.
I have a personal preference for Victor oxy/fuel equipment. These guys were the pioneers of built in flashback arrestors (that can be replaced when they bite the dust). Also, at least in my area, they are the preferred torch of many shops and rig welders. I find that the materials used in manufacturing are of a stouter and superior quality than the other units that are on the market.

$.02
Parent - By tool_man (*) Date 02-10-2006 15:52
I also like the fine threads on the valves of the Victor torches.Some are coarse and not easy to adjust.Another plus is availability of replacement parts.Victor torches are sold everywhere......my $.02
Parent - By RoadWarrior Date 02-10-2006 16:26
Harris- inexpensive, and all around a nice torch.
Victor- Cant speak for the whole country, but in Southern Cal it seems to be the most popular, making tips, repair parts, and so forth a breeze to get. Also interchangable with the inexpensive (Radnor is it?)
My personal favorite- Smith, hands down. Has nice features, for example, the ability to turn your brazing tip different directions without leaking your gas or being forced to shut it off. Works great, lasts a long time.
Parent - By hm2 Date 02-19-2006 23:01
I have a Victor setup all bought on Ebay for 1/3 of new and all worked great. The only new parts were the hoses and flash back arrestors. Be sure to get flashback arrestors at the gages and handpiece end of the hose. I also got quick disconects for the handpiece. The torch is brass and dents easily, click off the handpiece and you don't have to worry about, Did I ding it? Griff
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 02-20-2006 01:02
My Victor is now 40 years old, or young, and it works as good today as the day I got it.....I do have a nice portable Harris I like too....Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brands of Torches