Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW
- - By mjf (*) Date 02-22-2006 09:19
hiiiiiiii, i did not yet try, but i would like try it; perfome full penetration weld with GMAW welding process! can someone tell me if possible?
regards.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 02-22-2006 11:49
It is very possible.
Parent - - By mjf (*) Date 02-23-2006 07:52
dear Noris,
how can you help me to do this? i'm going to start this next monday and i have no information about it.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 02-23-2006 10:50
Walked right into this one Scott,good luck.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By cryogenicshaun (**) Date 02-24-2006 00:00
what are you welding? material? size wire? pipe? plate? etc.....? i think we're going to need just a tad bit more info.
Parent - - By mjf (*) Date 02-24-2006 06:38
my dear,
i'm welding plate, ABS GrA and using 1.2 or 1.6mm wire.
Parent - - By cryogenicshaun (**) Date 02-24-2006 11:29
leave yourself about a 1/8 gap, youre probably going to want to use some sort of backing strip or maybe even a ceramic backing tape, turn the heat and wire speed up a tad and go with it. do you have any scrap material around that you could make a few trial runs on? if so i'd start there to get the machine to where you are comfortable with it. good luck
Parent - By cfrancis (**) Date 02-28-2006 18:39
I would add, make sure your amperage is high enough ( your wire speed) and keep a very consistent wire stickout and pulling a longer arc will immediately reduce your depth of penetration.

Also, us a " head on " or a slight drag angle to maintain a keyhole effect in the joint. A push angle will push weld metal in front of your arc and close it off from penetrating through consistently.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW