Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cylinder ear relocation
- - By ezmoneytrg (*) Date 03-04-2006 04:20
i have just recently removed a set of cylinder pin mount ears off a boom and had to relocate them an 1.5 inches from factory location to decrease hight of boom for transport. The removal went fine as planned using aircair gouging with 1/4"x12" rod. I mocked up ears on there tops with pin bolted to it, fabbed spacers out of 2"x2" square tubing and tack welded them in key location to help prevent them from pulling. Now after doing that i made sure the radius on the bottom of ears were square and true to each other. i laid down a 5'' tack that wrapped sides and face of ear ends, did this to front and back of ears and both sides to lock in. i removed the pin to make sure it moved freely and would not bind, after doing so i welded the ears jumping from one side to the other on each ear to keep them straight. inserted pin again to make sure it would move freely and it did. finished welding and let ears cool to where u could touch with hand and not get burnt. I removed the spacers i used to keep ears from pulling and to space upon doing so i could not get pin back in. Oh i use 71-m dualshield and filler and preheated to 200D.f. So the question is what went wrong and how could i prevent this from happening again so i dont get writen up... there werent any W.P.S or instructions on how to do the job.
'
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 03-04-2006 06:46
it's hard to picture exactly what is happening . for me i usually set the pins in place with anti-seize then weld out but they can get tight . with the higher hydraulic pressures they use now you need better tolerences to keep from cracking the pin bushings . we used cylinder grinders to resize some times , but probably if you are going to do much of that kind of work you need to get a line boring bar . you can rent them from some places or have some one do it for you . prices for boring bar about $1200 or so you might find used cheaper or make your own .if your pin is close to fit (you might hone the ears slightly )grind a slight taper on it anti-size and drive in need 16# or 20# hammer takes alot of shock to start .if you need bushings let me know there are some good sources . hope this helps willie
Parent - By ezmoneytrg (*) Date 03-04-2006 23:53
think i expaint it wrong, i the ears moved but the locations did also and i do line bore work with a clamax portable 1.750 kit, i made cheater rings so you dont have to use the cones the kit comes with and they range from 1" to 8" depending on bore size. so if i would have welded the ears with out using braces to sqaure them in do you think i would have had the same problem.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 03-05-2006 00:54
hey ez -- i'll have to get back later today in the middle of repair now. ? what size machine ? what position --main boom bottom or top connection for dipper stick ? what part of world is this in ? catch you later willie
Parent - By ezmoneytrg (*) Date 03-05-2006 02:48
the machine is a dae-woo doosan excavator. not sure exact size, dont have numbers with me. i believe it is simular to a link-belt 330lx. it is the main boom on the excavator and the ears were the cylinder mounting ears. the position i welded them in would be an inverted 45 degree was not flat or vertical. i am in southern california and orange county to be exact. i use anti-sieze also and i usaully leave the pin in when welding but since the gap between both ears was only like 6" i took it out so i could weld the inner parts of the ears or segments they are called. this repair has nothing to do wtih stick besides the cylinder in which moved it up, sownor in and out some might say. thanks for the reply.... to be exact the machine was a solar 300 dae-woo just found out after talking to boss who wrote me up for ears pulling :)
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 03-05-2006 04:56
ez -- sorry it took so long to get back . had to finish a oil cooler on cat 12H so they can plow snow tonite . but have some news .just called john welch at home (cascade trader inc. in chehalis ,wa. ) said should be able to get wps from factory for that they will probably need more info. on your machine--model etc. they supply logging industry . they always tear off something so repair should be common . i will call and remind him next week .i know someones done this before will keep checking till we get this solved . i'm looking at 2 pictures (500lcv,300ll ) but can't see enough detail . i won't be down that way this season or would look at it . used to work down there 1980s . now disney-land is in orange county ? worked on bridges in fullerton , yorba-linda over by prado dam off 91frwy., and riverside , and san berdo.,temecula went to anza checked a school my dad welded on about 1960 the welds were still there . the principal asked if i would talk to the class . i said yes , but i would only say that i ditched school to go to work with my dad , she said i didn't need to talk .sorry this got so long . keep in touch--willie
Parent - By ezmoneytrg (*) Date 03-05-2006 06:52
i just dont understand how one ear pulled if i had made gussets and spacers to keep them square. i have done these kind of repairs before but really havent had this muck of and ear pull like that. the other point is that i know there are wps from the manufacturerer its the fact that my own superviser and manager dont think it is required to for repairs and that it is not cost efficient. i know i can retrieve them on my own time or get them faxed i just need a way to let my boss a desiel machanic with no welding/fabricating expereincd or knowledge that it is required and needed in general for these and other type of repairs. oh and my service manager is a part shp employee who came from a huge cat dealer who should know that these are a must but tells me there is no need because they have me as an empoyee, thats great in all but i am limited knowledge on repairs some times and do need the extra research and assistance but i gues in his eyes i should know everything any how any help in prevention on ears from pulling would be great.

THANKS Tim in orange ca just 5 miles from disneyland
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / cylinder ear relocation