Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Got New Job butToo Poor for New W Boots
- - By jammer Date 03-06-2006 04:05
I just got a new job as a maintainence man/welder at a huge paper mill.
The only problem is they don't pay for your work shoes up front.

I found these used ones would they hold up under tuff conditions?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7748734657&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-06-2006 14:25
The Red Wings should hold up if they are in good condition to begin with.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-06-2006 15:05
I'm a little funny about wearing used boots, but that's just me. I know you can get a cheap pair at Walmart just to get by until you get a paycheck or two. Then like Chet said, the Red Wings are very good boots.
John Wright
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 03-06-2006 22:15
Yep,
I agree with JW, spend twenty bucks at wallyworld. They have good boots and they're new; no stinkyfeet!
Parent - - By Dr. D (*) Date 03-15-2006 13:22
Yeah but if he buys the used ones he doesn't have to spend 6 months breakin 'em in just right ;)
kind of like welding gloves
Parent - - By BF (*) Date 03-15-2006 16:15
I had a very wise and intelligent senior inspector tell me once, when I young and complaining about my new work boots, if they don't fit and feel good when you try them on don't buy them. You have enough other issues to focus on than sore feet because your boots need broke in. Since then I never buy a pair of boots that aren't confortable when I try them on. And my feet never hurt and I feel I do a better job because I'm not distracted. I don't care what the price is, if they feel good when I try them on and I can afford them they are mine!

Carpe Diem,
BF
Parent - - By Laiky (*) Date 03-17-2006 18:23
Mt favorite boots are Wolverine Durashocks, soft and comfy right out of the box and they last me years of everyday wear. Might seem pricy at first ($120?) but for 2 years of warm dry painfree feet its cheap. As posted above, you have enough distractions, get good boots.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 03-18-2006 07:27
Ill second the wolverine durashocks...one heckava pair of boots
Parent - By Partagas (*) Date 03-19-2006 04:24
I also have wolverine's. Best pair of boots I have ever had. Do not remember what " Type" But I got mine at a place called DSW. Paid 40 bucks for them. Last pair other wise I would have bought a second. But I can understand his point about waiting to get paid. When I first needed a pair of Steel toe's I had to get a pair from Wally World for 20 bucks. Still have them, but never wear them. But they did what I needed, and worked fine until I found my current pair.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Got New Job butToo Poor for New W Boots