Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe fabrication
- - By kamann Date 03-12-2006 09:59
i recently broke out as a pipe fab. i realize this is a welders forum,but i hope someone can help with my question. when you fab. a dummyleg support on the back of a 90 degree elbow, do you feather edge the dummyleg pipe? most of the jobs i have worked on comes with pre-fabricated pipe, so it's hard to get the fab. knowledge you need. i find if you ask a question on the job your peged as noy knowing anything.
thanks
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 03-12-2006 15:49
No, you don't have to feather edge the support of the dummy leg to the 90 degree elbow. I think it is considered a fillet weld and therefore you do not need 100 percent penetration for this weld. You should cope the support leg to the elbow so that there is no more than 1/8" gap at the worst point of fit-up. So, in other words, if you cope the pipe support enough so that there isn't too much gap, then it should be acceptable. Just my opinion based on experience.
Parent - - By kamann Date 03-15-2006 12:25
thanks alot medicinehawk for the info, it helped alot. kim
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 03-16-2006 09:33
No Problem.....I hope I was some help.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-13-2006 12:46
As this joint is non pressurized, it's not required to be a full pen weld, unless your engineer specifically wants one there. If so, it should be noted on a drawing or ISO.
Congrats on breaking out. If you haven't acquired them already, I suggest that you get a copy of W.V. Graves books "The Pipe Fitters Blue Book" and The Pipe Fabricators Blue Book". They are indispensible to a pipe fitter.

Tim
Parent - By kamann Date 03-15-2006 12:21
thanks for the info. yes, i have the blue book and a ton of others.:) i have to take my nccer in two weeks, and have tried to get a good collection of pipe books. it seems alot of pipefitters have had alot of trouble with this test. alot of companies are going to this cert., so i am cracking the books, any advise from anyone who has taken this test would be greatly appreciated. thanks/ kim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pipe fabrication