Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which do you perfer for fcaw
- - By okieplott (*) Date 03-21-2006 22:02
which one of these wires do you feel is the better welding wire
kobelco frontiarc-711
or
esab dual sheild fc 717
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-22-2006 00:47
We use ESAB welding wire and like it.
John Wright
Parent - - By Zeke (*) Date 03-23-2006 13:25
We have used Frontiarc for over ten years. It has never let us down. And like I said in another post, with every shipment, you get actual mill certs free of charge. There is no doubt about what you are getting. At -20, there is no chance you will fail impacts. I assume from the other post that this is your concern with this job.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-23-2006 14:39
We use ESAB wire too. You can't beat the price. The mill certs are at no charge, but they have to be accessed and printed from the ESAB website. At least that's what our former QC/QA manager told me.
Parent - - By Zeke (*) Date 03-23-2006 16:06
How do you get to their certs on their website? That would be good info! I looked quickly but could not find the path.

Thanks,
Zeke
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 03-23-2006 16:58
Just go to esabna.com Click on Cerftificates at top of page. Enter part number and you should be there.

You can enter the heat number from the drum or roll, your company name, the P.O. number used to order the wire and it will put it all on the mill cert. You can print it or have it emailed to you.

It is handy when you AISC audit and cannot find certs.
Parent - By Zeke (*) Date 03-23-2006 17:52
Thanks for the path. I was a little bummed though. If you note the comment on the start page for the certs, the only actual certs are for Stainless wires. All the rest are typical certs. I think there are only a couple of manufacturers that offer actuals on carbon steel filler. I know that some of you may be tired of me mentioning Kobe, but that is why we use them. They even offer actual certs on their 70S-6 solid wire free of charge. With all of the private labeling and other crap going on in the filler wire industry, it is good to know what you are getting. Thanks anyway though. I wish ESAB would change and do actuals.

Zeke
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-23-2006 18:25
Back in the '90's the shops I was in burnt tons of the ESAB Dualshield with no problems. It's a good product.
I can't remember ever burning the Kobelco wire...
For the past 5 years we've been using Lincoln's and Hobart's solid wire, which worked OK.
This year, we've switched to Lincolns MC6 Metalcore wire, now that it's become cost competitive, and we're loving it.
I'd use metalcore over fluxcore anytime.

just my 2 cents worth...

Tim
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 03-24-2006 04:55
Hi Tim, glad to know somebody else is using Lincolns MC6 Metalcore wire.
I just completed a procedure on the Linclon MC6 wire, including root pass. All bends and tensiles passed, no problem. Excellent wire, 1st pass was just like tig pass (very clean, nice profile). The fill passes were fast, no clean-up. It was great not to have to stop and chip the slag. For those of you out there who belong to the United Association, I,m working on getting that procedure registered under the UA welder certification program.
Has anybody else got any feedback on how the MC6 wire has worked for your company? I would like to hear both negative or positive feedback.
DH
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / which do you perfer for fcaw