Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for info on jacks
- - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-27-2006 17:36
I'm trying to find information on an apparatus I call a "panel jack". I'm looking for what it is actually called and who makes them.

The "jack" uses two suction cups (metal disks with rubber skirts), about 8" to 10" in diameter, that are connected to an air jet/venturi. Turn the valve on and the air flow creates a partial vacuum in the pads.
Each suction pad is connected to a leg that attaches to a cross member. A small hydraulic jack is mounted in the middle of the cross member.

They are used to fit stiffeners to plate panels. Straddle the unit over a beam, turn on the air and jack the beam down (or pull the plate up, is more like it) for a tight fit. This eliminates the need for screw dogs or wedges.
I used them many years ago - slick little rigs- but can't remember what they are called. I'm sure many shops have used them.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Chet Guilford
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-27-2006 18:18
Sorry Chet,
We aren't that high tech yet, we still use the wedges cut out of scrap steel and a big ole sledge hammer. One day I hope we'll move out of the 19-fifties and up into the seventies and get some of that high tech equipment that I hear so many of those fab shops are using these days.:) LOL
John Wright

Yeah, I'm envious of all those new fancy tools I hear everybody uses but us ;)
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 03-28-2006 01:29
Man Jon, we had them in the shop I started my boilermaker career in minneapolis back in 1973. LOL Only we had a portapower ram attached to it that we could jack up to put pressure onto the stiffner during fit up. Worked great if the sheets were clean. We used them to fit the stiffners on bardges.

Have a nice day

Mike
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-28-2006 14:31
John,
Sledge and wedge will always have their place. We have boat loads of them that we cut from burn table drops.
When you think about it, there is a lot of technology today that attempts to improve on the past. Twist drills are a good example- you can coat them, make them out of better materials, use different lubes, make more precise machines- it still boils down to a drill bit that looks much the same as ones made a century+ ago.

The unit I am looking for will not provide a tremendous amount of force. But used on panels, you can save a lot of time instead of tacking and "untacking" the dogs. No clean-up required either.

Chet
Parent - - By mksqc (**) Date 03-27-2006 18:35
WE HAVE WHAT YOU DESCRIBE THEY ARE USED FOR LIFTIND DEVICES ANVER IS THE CO. THAT MAKES THEM.WWW.ANVER.COM
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-28-2006 14:18
mksqc,
It looks like Anver just might have the equipment. I didn't see the rig I was talking about but I have an email in to them. Thanks.
Chet
Parent - By mksqc (**) Date 03-28-2006 20:27
YEAH I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN RIG USING ANVERS PARTS GOOD LUCK
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for info on jacks