Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hardness Values
- - By Richard V. Roch (**) Date 03-28-2006 17:05
Anyone familiar with hardness values as they relate to HV10 vs HRC. I understand that conversion charts are not very dependable when it comes to converting martensitic hardness values. I have read (Hayes-Patrick) that a HRC 22 is equal to HV10 275. However conversion charts indicate that a HRC 22 is equal to HV10 248. Anyone with information would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-28-2006 21:16
You're perfectly right. The so called "hardness conversion tables" are only approximate and are to be used to make a rough estimate, not precise calculations.
There are plenty of tables around, some serious and some other not. By "serious" I mean a table that warns the user stating what I have said before, i.e., that there's not an exact equivalence between hardness numbers (Brinnell, Vickers and Rockwell).
Now, I agree with you that sometimes it's necessary to make that conversion, even if it's not precise. During my professional life, i.e., before becoming a college professor, I ran many times into that situation. In those cases I used a table I had confidence in.
For sure, one of the most dependable tables is that issued by the Society of Automotive Engineers, which you'll find in the SAE Handbook. Now, having to open the SAE Handbook every time you have to make a conversion is a little annoying, so you better manage to get a good table for daily use.
Here at the Metallurgical Lab of Mackenzie University we use a table issued by ACCO (American Chain and Cable Company), which we hung on the wall.
I'm almost sure that there's also an ASTM Standard Conversion Table. I'll take a look at the ASTM books in our library and get back to you.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-28-2006 22:40
Yes, there is an ASTM standard regarding hardness conversion.
It's Standard n° E-140, contained on Volume 03.01.
Of course, on paragraph 6.1 it warns the reader that "conversion from one hardness scale to another is only an approximate process".
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Richard V. Roch (**) Date 03-28-2006 22:50
Great information. I really appreciate it.
Parent - - By Mikeomni1 (*) Date 03-29-2006 17:46
ASTM A370 also has hardness conversion tables with approximate tensile
strength vs. hardness thrown into the mix.

Regards,
Mike
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-29-2006 22:42
Here's a link to do just that:

http://www.unified-eng.com/scitech/hardness/hardness.html

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hardness Values