Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding on a vintage Rolls Royce chassis
- - By awill4wd (**) Date 03-29-2006 11:58
We have been asked to perform some Tig welding and filling of approximately 50 holes the largest of which is about 3/8" (10mm) diameter on an early 1900's Rolls Royce chassis here in Australia. This is part of a complete ground up restoration to concourse standard.
The customer knows us personally and has asked us if we are interested and he wants it Tig welded, which is no problem to us as we Tig weld every day.
He informs us the chassis has a Nickel content of 4%-5%. What we would like to know is. What grade of filler wire (Tig) would be a suitable match? I was thinking of 309L which we have in stock but the Nickel content is about 13.5%. Would this level of Nickel be too high?
If so. Could anyone recommend a suitable filler wire please?
Other filler wires we have include: 316L, ER70s2, R60 (also known as "high test" here in Australia).
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By freddy d crisp Date 03-29-2006 15:22
you should be ok with that application I would check with www.haynes intl.com to double ckeck I have not messed with anything with low of a nickel content
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-29-2006 16:23
I too think the ER309L would be okay. You may also want to look into an ER630 if you have it available. The ER630 seems to be a closer match to your frame with a nominal composition of 16.4Cr, 4.7Ni, 3.6Cu.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding on a vintage Rolls Royce chassis