Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Source for air fittings
- - By MikeVW Date 03-29-2006 16:17
Does anyone know where I can obtain fittings for air tanks? I have a retired helium tank I want to use to hold a small amount of compressed air which would be charged by my air compressor. The valve on the tank will accept the regulator that came with my MIG welder but I have not found a source that sells just the parts. I am looking for the male threaded insert and the small pipe with the nipple on the end that is slides on.

Thanks,
Mike
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-30-2006 01:17
Hello Mike, when you say "retired" are you referring to a tank that no longer passes inspection for refilling? If so you have to understand that these tanks are designated as such for a reason, they may have excessive amounts of internal corrosion, possibly cracks, etc. Granted, you may only be talking about pressurizing this with 100 to 125 psi. instead of the 2250 to 2500 psi. that they are normally designed for, yet, this can still pose an explosive hazzard even at these lower psi's. So if this is the case I would highly recommend avoiding this scenario! On the other hand if this is a good usable cylinder I would still not do it, instead, I would sell it for the going market rate and buy one of those portable airtanks that are really inexpensive and designed for this purpose already. If you would like other good reasons for going this route take a trip to your local welding gas supplier and inquire with them for other reasons. My $.02 Regards, aevald
Parent - - By MikeVW Date 03-30-2006 04:50
It is in no way old or damaged. I found it at the dump and it has a companies name welded on it. The local air supply won't take it as trade and the company said it was in good condition but they don't want to pay to have it shipped back to them. Thank you for watching out for my safety though. I can't imagine what it would be like to have one of those things explode or blow a valve off.

Mike
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 03-30-2006 21:03
my 2 cents-is similar to Aevald's point,

It would probably work fine- but the volume in the tank is not that much really....not at 100 -125 psi anyway.

a "K" size high pressure compressed gas bottle has about 1 3/4 cubic feet of volume. (water volume).

a simple 20" dia. x 20" long air tank has over 3.6 cubic feet of volume (without the hemispherical head.. too lazy to calculate that today).

I think you would be better off with a correct volume air tank, matched to your compressor, made in accordance to the ASME code for that purpose.
Parent - - By MikeVW Date 03-31-2006 03:52
The one that I have is free and only requires a few small fittings, which I am looking for. I am not looking to buy an air tank I just want to use what I have, which will work out great with only a few dollars spent. Any leads on a fitting supplier?

Mike
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-31-2006 09:42
If you go to the welding supply you can usually buy the part that connects the cylinder valve to the regulator separately. I believe it will have 1/4 inch pipe threads where it would screw into the regulator (ask). From there on you're in the plumbing department of your favorite hardware emporium. Using the tank in this way will probably result in polluting the inside of the tank. If you ever decide to return the tank to high pressure service (especially as an oxygen tank) it could be quite dangerous.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Source for air fittings