Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Millermatic s32p questions
- - By kneedownnate Date 03-29-2006 22:08
First off, let me introduce myself. I didn't see a newbie section to do so, so I'll do it here. My name is nathan/nate, I live in northern california and work at shasta lake(boat mechanic), and bought my welder because A: I wanted a welder that was capable of welding anything on my trucks, and B: I got a very good deal.

I know very little about this model, or welding in general, but had a good idea of it's value as we have the same model at work, and I've welded in stringers to mount generators with ours. The major downside is I don't have a gasoline powered welder at home to run mine, so it just sits tucked away behind my rollaway at work. I keep contemplating selling it, but so few people even know what it is and how handy it can be to have around.

I've been kind of curious about what, if any, the duty cycle would be for this, and if it is totally dependant on which welder you use as the power source. Ours at work is a bobcat.

As much as I'd hate to get rid of a welder with so much potential, I might be inclined to trade for a 220 model (miller 175/180 or ?) if it was already set up and ready to weld. Do you think I'd be losing my rear doing this? We have a mobile welder who comes in sometimes and does some work for us, and he was thinking that $800 would be a decent price for it (I believe he runs an ln25?), does this sound decent to you? Either way, I just want something I can actually use rather than sitting around another 2 years, and haul to a friend's house if need be. I guess I could do that if I had a bobcat type to run mine though, just build a trailer for them.

Sorry for the rambling, just trying to get it all out there. Let me know your guys thoughts on this, Nate
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-30-2006 00:34
If you have a ac/dc stick welder in your garage you can use the S32 feeder to weld using flux cored wires either gas shielded or self shielded. If you have a stick only welder you won't be able to weld short circuit MIG solid wire on sheet metal. To use a stick welder or gas drive like the Bobcat first check the flux core wire data sheet for the recommended polarity. It will call out an amperage range that you will set on your stick machine. Make certain the toggle switch in the feeder is set for constant current. The voltage is adjusted when you adjust the wire feed speed. If you have a Bobcat you can set it for wire constant voltage and then you set the voltage recommended and adjust the wire feed speed to set the amperage. With the constant voltage on the Bobcat you could weld 70S6 wire for short circuit MIG on sheet metal.
Parent - - By kneedownnate Date 03-30-2006 01:39
Thanks, but I think part of the point may have been missed. Also, I hate flux core and would rather not use it, especially since it has a very full, huge spool of solid. I've always used solid/gas at work too. Mostly what I would be welding would be bumpers, frames and tubing types of things.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-30-2006 02:41
Hello Nate, I believe that you are the proud owner of the Miller version of the CC/CV suitcase feeder, this unit should operate off of any constant current (DC stick welder, can't use AC), constant voltage power source, and yes you can use the hard wire that is currently on it. The gas type and current/ voltage settings will determine whether you are welding in short circuit, globular transfer, or spray arc mode. Go to your local welding supplier and pick-up the owners manual for this unit and then see about figuring out the rest of the story regarding it's capabilities/limitations. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-30-2006 02:54
Nate

http://millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
Find the serial number from your machine and type it into the engine at this link and you will have the exact owners manual for your machine..... Miller is real good about that.

It will tell you what you can and can't do as well as how to hook it all up and troubleshoot.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-30-2006 03:18
Hello Lawrence, someday I'll get up to speed on all of this new fangled technology. Great reminder, thanks and have a great day! Regards, aevald
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-30-2006 10:23
Hi Gents!
The Miller S32P is a voltage sensing wire feeder and I remember when Miller first came out with these babies because, I used to go around demonstrating their capabilities and their limitations all around the greater New York - New Jersey Metro area way back in the early eighties, when I worked as a Technical Sales Rep for one of the largest independent welding distributors in the region...

357max is almost perfectly correct in describing what you can and cannot use with this wire feeder because it reads as if he's used one before...

Lawrence is correct as is Aevald, in getting your hands on the manual for the S32P in order to determine what you can use it and how to use it properly...

As far as the wire feeder is concerned, it was NOT optimized to run "solid wire" in the short circuit transfer method when connected to a Constant Current power source... This does'nt mean that you will not be able to run short circuit (GMAW-S) with this wire feeder... It just means that you can only run true short circuit transfer when connected to a Constant Voltage power source!!!

If you attempt to run GMAW-S, at best -you'll be able to achieve Globular transfer and ,it will be erratic when connected to a CC power source!!! However, you can run GMAW - spray transfer method very smoothly with these wire feeders when connected to a CC power source!!!

Note: These Miller S32-P wire feeders DO NOT COME STANDARD (only optional) with gas solenoid valve circuits, contactor controls, voltage/current controls & meters, purge buttons or jog switches, etc...
In other words - unless the S32-P you was ordered with these options, you will be very limited in your capabilities with this voltage sensing wire feeder!!!

If you do NOT have any of these options on your machine then, I MUST CAUTION YOU that the WIRE WILL ALWAYS BE "HOT" or "LIVE" if the CC power source is on!!! The Welding circuit is not closed when you press the trigger on the gun, the circuit is closed upon the wire making contact to the metal that is connected to the voltage sensing lead of the wire feeder!!! Without the options installed, the only thing the trigger activates when depressed is the feed motor PERIOD so, BEWARE!!!

I'll leave the rest up to "Kneeodwnnate" in deciding upon whether or not to get a hold of at least two of these options in order to have a minimally safe wire feeder to use with a CC power source... The options are very easy to install!!!

Originally these feeders were designed for dual use but primarily to sell for self shielding flux cored welding when connected to CC power sources and FCAW-G... then Miller discovered that you could run GMAW spray transfer when connected to a CC power source and of course, when connected to a CV or Constant Potential power source, you could run GMAW in any transfer method and FCAW-G or even an FCAW-S wire provided it was designed to run on a CV power source...

Man!!! Does this bring back memories of all the hundreds of demo's with the S32-P!!! I'm getting too old!!! Gotta Go!!! Download the manual!!! Have Fun!!!! STAY SAFE!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Millermatic s32p questions