Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ARGON & NITROGEN GASES
- - By jeepping Date 04-01-2006 01:43
Hi,

I got two questions about tanks and the gases in them.

1. I have an empty (personal) Argon/CO2 mix tank and wanted to know if I would be able to fill this tank with 100% Nitrogen from another tank instead. Would the mixing of any left-over Argon mix and Nitrogen cause an explosion?

AND

2. I have a tank (about 9" W X 5' H) I'm told it's a 160 psi tank. Exactly, what is the limit this tank will hold 1,000 or 2,000 psi ? I can't see the size of this tank only holding 160 psi.

Thanks for the info.
Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 04-03-2006 01:50
contact your local welding supply company
do not try to fill this your self
Parent - - By welderseller (**) Date 04-04-2006 01:32
Most welding supply places can swap out one cylinder for another regardless of what gas is in the cylinder, as long as the cylinders are the same size and you pay the difference. Argon and Nitrogen are both inert gases and would not cause an explosion. However I would highlt recommend that you do not attempt to fill these cylinders on your own. As for the pressure of these cylinders, they are rated to about 2400psi
Parent - - By MAC702 (*) Date 04-07-2006 05:24
While it is not flammable, Nitrogen is NOT inert.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 04-07-2006 09:13
hmm...and all this time I thought it was carbon dioxide that was not inert and nitrogen that was commonly considered inert by the scientific world...hmmm me needs second opinion
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-07-2006 12:21
Tex

Both Nitrogen and CO2 are active :)

Here is a list of the inert gasses on the periodic table.
Helium Neon Argon Krypton Xenon Radon

However some argue that only Helium and neon are truly inert, but that argument is over my head :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas
Parent - - By MAC702 (*) Date 04-07-2006 15:18
Truly "inert" gases will never make a compound (molecule) with anything else, including themselves. Some of your "inert gases" though, like Xenon, CAN under special circumstances form compounds, like XeF6.

CO2 is ALREADY a compound, and can undergo other changes.

Nitrogen exists as a diatomic molecule, N2, meaning it has already reacted with itself. Plus, it is found in myriad other compounds, like ammonia.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-09-2006 07:02
texredneck,
I have fallen into the same trap as you before.
We purge our stainless pipes with argon or nitrogen and I always thought you purged with an inert gas.
Only found out recently that nitrogen is not inert, still learning new things at my age.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 04-09-2006 07:28
I do appreciate it guys.
ITs interesting because I did take chem, but then that was highschool and I was just trying to get through a class I could less than to be bothered with. Besides that, you know a lot of folks out there talk but dont know what theyre saying. So I do appreciate the info and explaining it
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ARGON & NITROGEN GASES