Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wood floor Fire Proofing?
- - By lift mechanic (*) Date 04-01-2006 04:30
My last post was about almost catching my house on fire. I need to do something to protect the wood floor from catching fire. The walls, I am planning on covering with cement board or sheet metal. Sheet metal on the floor I feel would be slippery. What could I cover or apply to the floor so I can weld with out the fear of fire. I know concrete would be the best but not practical or economic. Thanks in advance, Mark
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-01-2006 07:16
Hi Mark!!!
What about "diamond plate" sheets??? Sheets with a slip resistant surface layer applied to the sheets in areas either outside of the areas where hot work will be performed or by applying a fire retardant/fireproof, slip resistant surface layer over the majority of the sheetmetal surface???

Do you have the appropriate type of fire extinguishing equipment??? Do you have adequate ventilation???
These and other considerations must be addressed in order to assure yourself and others that you're working safely...
Hope this helps!!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-04-2006 16:42
A fire retardant "paint" may work but I would think you might be better off to do your welding outdoors. By the time you buy checker plate, cement board, special paint or whatever- you might be able to afford roofed area like a carport. I welded in my basement one time; I didn't sleep all night worrying about whether there was a little spark smouldering somewhere just waiting to burn the house down. From then on, I do my welding outdoors. When I get around to building my garage, that might be different but I'll still be leery of it.

Chet
Parent - - By lift mechanic (*) Date 04-05-2006 17:27
Thanks for the replies. I weld outside when ever posible, but in the winter not posible. This year we have 620 inches of snow fall and more expected. I think diamond plate floor and a fire resistant coating and sheet metal on the walls is the way to go cost probly too much but I'll price it . Thanks again, Mark Oh yea, 620 inchs of snow fall = 20 feet of packed snow = buried houses, mine is.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 04-06-2006 12:53
Mark
Sounds like great ski country, but the ventilation concerns expressed above are really crucial in your situation. I would be worried about this, (as well as the fire hazard) with your house buried, since the hazard is also to every one in the house from too few air exchanges.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-06-2006 05:46
Old time cannoneers used a wet swab to insure that the fire was out to prevent surprises when the next charge went down the barrel. Applying that, wet mopping the floor before you begin and then from time to time as you work and again when you finish might help, couldn't hurt. Some of that fire resistant stuff they use on christmas trees added to the water might help too. No guarantees. If you can, plan your work so that welding is done first, then an hour or so of other work. Then if something is left smouldering you will have a better chance of noticing before things get out of hand.
Bill
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 04-07-2006 00:57
Hi Mark,
There is a material made with laminated kevlar/rubber that we used around our equipment where I used to work. I got some leftover scrap pieces I kept and use pieces to keep my workbench receptacles covered where I grind & weld. Works great and you should be able to find it at a manufacturing supply outlet. We had a 50' roll of it that was 4' wide and was approx. 1/4" thick. It may be much more economical to use than your other options.....just a thought....good luck...Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Wood floor Fire Proofing?