Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / butt welding of aluminium pipes
- - By val Date 08-14-2001 10:03
Hello,
Can anybody help me to butt-weld aluminium pipes?
Theses pipes are 100 mm dia.and 8 mm wall thickness.
Welded joint should be 100% x-ray quality as these pipes will be used as busducts for tranmission of high current from power generator to main transformer.

joint prep. is single- V, 70 deg., 2 mm land and root gap of 1.2 mm

Planning to use Pulsed-MIG process. Can any expert suggest suitable process,machine,welding parameters for this job?

Parent - By CMJ Date 10-25-2001 01:52
I have not had the chance to use pulsed mig for iso-phase construction.
I have used a 30a spool gun with 4043 filler and a 75%argon/25%helium gas mix. Word to the wise construct and portable tent which will help w/
protecting the shielding gases from being displaced don't be bashful with gas and sure the tent is sealed tight. You may also change to straight argon for the nitrogen surround, and flex coupling if being used. Don't hesitate to confur with your supplier tech. for assistance with applications of gas mixes and filler material. Pulsed is a good direction and if need be go with a 50/50Ar/He mix will give you a hotter weld and heavens' sake push. Hope this help CMJ
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / butt welding of aluminium pipes