Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Standards
- By John H. UK (*) Date 08-24-2001 15:27
Hello,

I'm thinking of going on a short course in MIG welding this Chirstmas so I have proof that I can weld acceptably. There are two final goals for each different course (I can not take a year off to take the full certification ones at the moment). They are:

1.) "Delegates skills to produce welds to ASME IX/BSEN 287 standards. Joints and positions are as set out in the welding procedure.- Joints design and set up- Types of metal transfer- Machine settings and evaluation- Types of shielding gas- Weld defects, causes and prevention- Practices in welding selected joints from the following: ASME IX, section IW QW461 or BSEN 287, part 1, steels- Welder approval test to the relevant standard."

2.) "Develop the delegates skills to weld conventional joints in the flat and vertical position to BS 4872 standards.- Electric Arc welding safety (as relates to M.I.G./M.A.G.)- Principles of the M.I.G. process- Types of metal transfer- Machine setting principles- Types of shielding gas- Routine machine maintenance- Fillet and lap welds in the flat and vertical positions- Outside corner and square butt welds in the flat and vertical positions- Welder tests to BS 4872 (Tests to meet customer requirements)."

I'd really like any information on what the differences are between these two certificates. Which is newer? Which carries more confidence in the person? How tricky are they? I can already MIG/MAG weld quite well. Thanks for any help.

John
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Standards