Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Projection welding problem
- - By S Miller Date 08-21-2001 02:46
My name is Scott Miller & I am an engineering & quality manager in the automotive industry in Australia. We are having problems with projection welding M8 8.8 grade weld studs to 2mm zinc coated mild steel. We are having random defects with perant metal failures at a rate of about 0.3%. Our process welds 2 studs at the same time with 4 studs in the assembly. I'm having trouble finding details of welding 2 studs together, has anyone done this successfuly or will we have to weld one at a time?
Thanks for your help,
regards,
Scott.
Parent - - By welshmel Date 08-28-2001 19:38
What kind of defects are you talking about?
What are your settings etc?

Mel
Parent - By S Miller Date 08-29-2001 07:54
Thanks for the response Mel,
The problem we are having is intermittent failures that we detect by dropping a weight on the stud & it breaks loose. Viewing the samples vary significantly in the amount of weld penetration. It appears we are not controlling the current evenly as we can have one stud with no penetration & the stud next to it can blow a hole through the side of the stud. Occasoinally the stud arcs on to the edge of the hole which also created a poor weld. The machine is a Dorman 250kva model 1-ps-245, volts = 415, freq = 50, valve = 1. We are using a miyach weldtouch controller cy-2108 with settings, tap =7, squeeze=99, weld 1=5, weld2 = 16, weld3 = 34, pulse =1, current = 25, angle = 135, air pressure =2-psi. the material in 2mm zinc coated mild steel.
regards,
Scott.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Projection welding problem