Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Woman Welders
- - By makie Date 08-30-2001 05:10
I would like to talk to any woman welders. I am very strongly considering going into this field, and would like some info. I have been told woman make better welders is that true?
Makie
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 08-30-2001 16:45
Kent White, www.tinmantech.com ,claims that during WWII lots of women were welding aluminum aircraft components with oxy-fuel torch and seemed to have a gift for it. I am a TIG welder and I took one of his seminars on torch welding aluminum thinking it would be a cake walk- WRONG. So, by all means, give it a try! Good luck, Scott.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 08-30-2001 17:08
Qualify "BETTER" . Better than what, Men? are you looking for employment or competition?

I am curious, are they better or do you have someting to prove?

You must qualify (pass a welding test) where and when you seek employment. What more do you want?
Parent - - By DGXL (***) Date 08-30-2001 23:22
I wouldn't pay much attention to RG, inane responses and self promotion are the best this recently certified inspector can provide. I have taught advanced arc welding and gender does not make much difference other than women usually have more patience than their counterparts. Some of my best students were female albeit they did not have the physical strength to perform certain tasks.

It's a good trade to learn regardless of gender. The very best of luck to you should you decide to take up welding for as your vocation.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 08-31-2001 00:20
Yes! that was very well put, She sure reeled you in big boy.

But you still did'nt answer her question.

Is welding gender bias?

Talk aboput inane!

Parent - By armywelder Date 08-31-2001 13:48
Where I work, we have no women welders at all. I work in a heavy fabrication shop. Our welders here do much more than weld. They grind plate, move parts, clean parts and all sorts of other dirty, hot work. Not trying to say a woman couldn't do it. I really don't see why they would WANT to. Of course, there are other places to work. Some shops do mostly TIG welding which is somewhat cleaner and not as much physical labor invovled. As far as being "better" welders than men, I think that statement is too generalized and each individual welder should be judged on their own merits. Before someone attacks me, let me say that I have just given you my opinion based on personal expierence.
Good Luck no matter what you decide to do! There are many different avenues to take in the welding field. You don't necessarily have to be the person burning the rod to be involved. Good luck.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-31-2001 14:23
As with any other manual dexterity related skill, I feel the sexes are equal. The ability to weld is based on the person and individual factors. I have witnessed female tube welders with skills greater than most on the jobsite and I have seen a woman stand in a test booth next to me for 2 days at a nuke plant without the ability to strike an arc.

There are male female differences that exist and cannot be argued. Manual dexterity is not one of them.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-31-2001 22:48
I have experience with 2 women welders in industry, and both of them were above average. I don't think that women make better welders in general than men because they have more skill, or better dexterity, but possibly because any woman who goes into welding would have to really be motivated to do it and enjoy it, where as many men may end up as welders by default.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 09-01-2001 04:46
I also have worked with women in industry and as as rule they were skillful more motivated but I really belive it was cicumstance not gender.

I have not seen any response from any women welders, could it be they are smart enough to see such a loaded question and avoided it?

Is this "MAKIE" for real? Is it even a women or someone just shaking trees to see what falls out?

Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 09-04-2001 19:59
Here in Brazil, women have entered into construction jobsite welding some 20 years ago. According to the field managers I've talked to, they're better welders than men. Reason is simple, according always to said managers: welding requires patience and thoroughness, two virtues which are more frequent in women than in men.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Woman Welders