Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Lincoln SAE 200 Pipeliner question?
- - By pipeliner06 (*) Date 04-18-2006 13:45
Hello AWS Forum.

I came across a black man that ended up with a 1977 Lincoln SAE 200 Amp Gas burner {Pipeliner}he bought it from a retired Pipeline Welder its in excellent shape on a trailer with 40 ft of stinger lead and 40ft of ground.He want`s to sell the machine and trailer to me and its ready to go on a welding truck or use as is.My question is...... is it worth $1200.00?

The machine does not smoke and is very clean with low hours by the look`s of it.

It has been about 15 years since I welded pipelines ect and so much work going on with pipelines and compressor stations and oil field work me and a friend is putting together a 1984 chrevrolet one ton dooly 454 engine and I plan to get brushed up on my welding and fall in on the firing line after testing on 2" and 12" but dont want to buy a machine if its not worth what is being asked for it.

Thank`s a-bunch.

Steven.
Parent - - By pipeliner06 (*) Date 04-19-2006 04:40
It is terrible that no-ones responded to this subject.I bought the machine it is a original Red Face {163}.Have any ideas of how good this machine is?

Thanks to all.

Steven.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-19-2006 09:00
steven , sorry i didn't reply sooner . sounds like it's not to bad of a deal but that depends on what you are doing . our family has bought and sold traded , loaned , lost , had stolen , destroyed by fire about 15 of these machines since 1963 . prices ranged from $100 for the first used one i bought to i think it was about $3900 for the last new one in 1972 i bought 6 of them 1969 and leads to go 6 stories when they built original b.p. building in anchorage , alaska . leads cost something like 75 cents per ft at that time used . my dad bought one new 1963 for $615 from ted cox welding supply in s.b. calif. i was at an auction 3 years ago and they were selling for about $300 for lots of 4 to 6 welders all sa 200 but were junkers about 50 of them . but lots of parts . i still have 3 from the 6 i bought new they are good ones just burn lots of gas . a word of advice they get stolen easily if they are on trailers . i sold new one 1984 for a friend used 1 job to another friend for $1000 . any machine thats in good shape should be worth that price if you can use it to work with . there are probably more welding machines available than there are welders and there is alot of welding work starting . get some practice and get back welding i still enjoy welding . good luck . willie
Parent - - By pipeliner06 (*) Date 04-19-2006 13:43
Thank you Willie for your input.Yes welding machines can be stolen easily on trailers.I give $1200.00 for the SA-200 Lincoln pipeliner.The machine is in excellent shape and welds like a dream.The machine is well guarded and will soon be going on an 1984 chevy one ton dooly welding truck.The trailer the machine came on will sell easily for 1/2 of what I gave for the machine.

This machine I bought is gray but underneath some flaked off paint it is red so I suppose it came Red from the factory?Would you have any idea or anyone else what year model the machine might be?

The lead connectors are on the back of the machine instead of the face of it and where they connect it has a + and - so this machine has the new style lead connectors.

The machine will be mostly welding on pipelines here in North Louisiana.

Thanks again.

Steven.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-19-2006 14:38
steven , try www.weldmart.com they sent me a disc . seem to have up grade parts might be helpful . and might have answers to your questions . these machines are my favorite they start good and weld nice . keep us posted on how you do . good luck . willie
Parent - By pipeliner06 (*) Date 04-19-2006 15:09
Thank you Willie.I have ordered the disc from weldmart.I am rebuilding an old welding bed for the truck the bed looked like a box that matches came in way to long and wide and square and to ugly.

I narrowed it down and shortned it as the back corners of the bed will be at an angle / ect.Probably have lightned it up about 500 pounds.The welder that built the bed had no imagination at all and they say you can tell what kind of welder one is by the looks of his welding truck bed.

Thanks again.

Steven.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-23-2006 13:47
1200 for for a good welding machine is not bad at all i had 1 built soild copper wound painted and all including a rebuilt motor and it cost me 3500 i would of give 1200 in a heartbeat if it welds good. a good runing weling machine is going for around 2500 in my neck of the woods here in south texas
Parent - - By pipeliner06 (*) Date 04-24-2006 12:26
By raftergwelding On 23-Apr-06 09:47
[Reply]

1200 for for a good welding machine is not bad at all i had 1 built soild copper wound painted and all including a rebuilt motor and it cost me 3500 i would of give 1200 in a heartbeat if it welds good. a good runing weling machine is going for around 2500 in my neck of the woods here in south texas

Steven comments:

The machine I bought is a 1970`s Red Face Lincoln.It welds and runs like a dream.Most fella`s selling them get over 2 to 4 grand for their machines.Guess I got very lucky for everything I got for $1200.00.

Thank you.

Steven.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 04-25-2006 03:15
yes 1200 is very good i picked up a 53 short hood for 500 had hardly been used just needs a paint job and then a month later i picked up another shorthood for a real good price sometimes you just get lucky
Parent - - By - Date 05-07-2006 18:45
OMG are you crazy,,I work all over the permian basin,,,a 200amp lincoln goes for over 2800,,,,most of the time sight unseen. Though the best way to test the machine is to fire it up and let it warm up,,,,take you a 3/16 P rod of some sort. turn the machine all the way up which is usually 5th gear and 100. Stick the rod to the ground and hold it there. If the machine dies out or sputters real bad,,,its not good. On the other hand,,,if the machine doesnt die out,,,and hold current(it will bog down but thats normal) hold it there till the rod begins to smoke and eventually catch on fire,,,if it does,,,buy that machine cause that is a hell of a steal
Parent - By pipeliner06 (*) Date 05-08-2006 12:56
The machine will catch a 3/16 rod on fire in a houston texas second.Oh how sweet to hear that SA-200 Red Face beller.

Thanks.

Steven.
Parent - - By - Date 05-10-2006 01:51
I heard that!!!!
Parent - - By Dr. D (*) Date 05-11-2006 09:29
I have an SA 200 that is an old hand crank start only, model F-163. Cont. 4 cyl.
Is there any way to tell what year it is?
Parent - By weldersales (**) Date 05-11-2006 21:55
Lincoln did not use the F163 until about 1965, I think. Before that it was the F162. You can tell the year from the serial number. Of course someone could have put in the later engine, they will interchange. Send the serial or picture of unit and we will try for year. Thanks, weldersales
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 07-28-2006 00:10 Edited 07-28-2006 00:23
my question is what does the mans colour have to do with the welder? the face plate being red or not however does, the red face as many of my more experienced senior peers could attest is the best welder ever made by lincoln. it as i understand means all copper windings. i bought a 72 red face recently with a new battery, voltage regulator and with a rebuilt engine less than 1000 hours ago for 1000 can. it does not have any problems and is an exceptional machine besides the fact that it does consume more fuel than the newer welders. you can pull a long arc or stuff it right into the puddle and she keeps on welding (especialy good if you sneeze or have to move position while welding). the best welder type ive ever welded with except maybe a brand new shop inverter even then the inverter would only be as good
darren
ps
I added an after market auto muffler(friction fit) that can be removed for transport makes a BIG difference in the volume of the exhaust
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 07-29-2006 03:38
A 1972 SA-200 is not a red face.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 07-30-2006 06:33
A 1972 would be a black face unit  that is the F163 if it truly is a 1972 someone probably put the wrong face plate on it
Parent - By darren (***) Date 12-24-2006 07:04
sorry to take so long to get back and for my misinformed post. any way i could tell exactly the type it is. thanks
darren
Parent - By Harley5150 (*) Date 12-24-2006 19:47
you could tell if its a red face by the shape of the generator... it should be smooth and round.. anything after 1971 should be angular and not round and smooth.  Thats as easy as it gets..
Parent - By HYBRIWELD (**) Date 01-20-2007 20:53
IF YOU GUYS ARE IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT PARTS OR LOOKING TO MODERNIZE YOUR WELDING MACHINES, GIVE TOM FOWLER A CALL.

TELEPHONE: (985) 384-6914

Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Lincoln SAE 200 Pipeliner question?