Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Sections / Section 112: Florida West Coast / electrician needs help
- - By walter Date 09-12-2006 18:38
I'm an electrician working in a chemical plant in West Florida.  My company employees a handful of certified welders but as they are often busy they have asked me to try to pass the plant's 3G welding test.  I haven't welded in almost 7 years and the majority of my experience is in tig and mig.  I worked in a fab shop several years ago and haven't really welded since then.  What are the chances I will actually pass this test being that it's overhead and vertical, and does anyone have any pointers?  Thanks for any help.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-12-2006 19:54
Hello walter, to properly take a stab at answering your question you will probably have to give some additional information for the folks to work from. You said the "plant's 3G test", depending on a lot of other things, the 3G only refers to position of the weld. Is this a SMAW test, GMAW test, etc.? \ Be a little more specific and I think you will get a little better feel from the folks on the Forum as to your chances and also a much better number of suggestions for ways to increase your chances of being successful. Best of luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-12-2006 20:02
To add another variable that usually is an essential variable in most codes and that is whether the 3G test is "with" or "without backing".
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-12-2006 20:46
i believe that the 3g test is verticle only, no overhead
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 12-11-2006 01:20
what does the 3g,4g,5g,6g if there is what do they stand for and mean or what can I look up to find this? please help
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2006 11:27
TP,
AWS D1.1:2006 Figures 4.1, and 4.2 show the positions for groove welds and fillet welds.
Figures 4.3 and 4.4 show the testing postions for plate and pipe groove welds.
Figures 4.5 and 4.6 show the testing postions for plate and pipe fillet welds.

1G=flat groove weld
2G=horizontal groove weld
3G=vertical groove weld
4G=overhead groove weld
5G=groove weld on pipe or tube horizontally fixed and not rotated during welding and requires welding flat, vertical, and overhead.
6G=groove weld on pipe in a 45* fixed inclination and not rotated during welding.
6GR=groove weld on pipe in a 45* fixed inclination with a restrictor ring to act as an obstacle and the pipe is not rotated during welding.

1F - 5F is basically(not exactly) the same as the groove welds but only requires placing a fillet weld.
There is no 6F.

Hope this helps,
Up Topic Sections / Section 112: Florida West Coast / electrician needs help