Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / clarification
- - By dlc Date 10-08-2001 12:16
Dear Sirs,
Can some body list out the advantages of fabrication/welding over casting(cast steel) for manufacture of a 500T Hydraulic wheel mounting/demounting press?
I also need help in the form of the list of manufacturers who are manufacturing such wheel presses of such or higher capacities using the fabricated design.
I hope that my quries will definitely be answered at the earliest.
with warm regards
DLC
Parent - - By - Date 10-08-2001 17:13
Typical advantages of welded construction over cast construction is:

1) Lower weight of component.
2) Lower cost for one-off fabrications than castings.
3) Greater design flexibility.

Obviously there are also advantages to cast construction.

I can not give you a list of fabricators, but most heavy equipment fabricators should be able to build such a component. I am sure that you will have such manufacturers in your vicinity.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By dlc Date 10-09-2001 05:03
Dear Sir,
Can you be more explicit about the tecnical portion like what is the effect of vibrations/jerks/sudden impacts on a welded/fabricated press structure, what would be the strength as compared to the casting for the same capacity(500T), what would be the fruitful life of the machine structure as compared to the use of steel casting, how would the welded/fabricated press structure compare with the cast steel structure with respect to the allowable/workable load, ductility, uniformity of material used,working speeds and stiffness.
It is requested to send me the reply/help at the earliest
with warm regards
DLC
Parent - By - Date 10-09-2001 20:30
Without actually seeing the component, it is difficult to give a definitive answer. General guidelines that could answer some of your questions are as follows:

1) Strength of the construction can be the same, because you only put the material where you need it in a welded fabrication.
2) Stiffness can also be the same, for the same reason given above.
3) Generally vibrations will be lower in a casting, because it has more material around to act as a "damper".
4) If you have a sound casting, then the casting's fatigue properties should be better because a weldment has NO fatigue limit. The fatigue properties can be improved by the position of the welds and their final shape and finish, but the weldment will still have a finite fatigue life. On the other hand, if you have a dirty casting (often a problem) the fatigue properties will not be so great either.

The bottom line of the performance of a welded fabrication or casting will rely greatly on:

1) The design.
2) Workmanship during manufacture of the component.

A good design and workmanship in either method of manufacture will render a good component that meets the design criteria. To decide on the final method of manufacture will mostly dependent on economics.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / clarification