Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Insulated crane hooks
- - By aevald (*****) Date 08-01-2006 22:25
Hi everyone, I know this isn't quite a trick of the trade however I do believe that it is worth mentioning in regards to welding and fabrication practices. Over the years working in many different shops and the proximity of many welding and fabrication operations I have noted too many times where a part has been suspended from the bridge crane, jib crane, or any other type of lifting system and then welding has taken place without insulating the part from the lifting hook. In most cases the individuals who have done this have been oblivious to the possibilities of danger that can be caused by doing this. The explanation goes something like this, if for any reason there is a poor ground to the welding machine being used the possibility exist that the electrical ground in the welding machine, building, and bridge crane itself will become the ground, this can cause arcing and resistance generated heat to be built up in the various components of the hoist, chain, cable, block or other components in the ground path. These can ultimately cause failures that can cause damage, injury, or death to those using the equipment. If you use lifting equipment in this manor make sure to use commercially available insulated lifting hooks or properly rated and applied nylon slings(with correct load capacity, rigged correctly, and not in anyway subjected to the heat generated by the welding process) incorporated into the load support before proceeding with any welding. Hope this helps someone to avoid a mishap. Regards, aevald
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-02-2006 17:54
Well said!

Al
Parent - - By cliffy Date 10-24-2006 19:24
I am trying to buy such a hook as the one I have has been in this shop longer than I have.
Cannot seem to locate one. Any info on this would be appreciated. 5 ton preferably
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-25-2006 00:10
Hey cliffy,
A friend once had the same problem and I suggested he go to the local power company and see if he could get some of the scrapped or unusable insulators they had. He found exactly what he needed and had a company rig them for him and he got them for practically nothing. Maybe try there to see if you can find something that may work for you.......good luck.....Denny
Parent - - By Paul Jankovic Date 06-02-2008 14:43
Hello all,

This is a very late response but I just ran across this thread regarding insulated lifting hooks during a search. I work for Miller Products in Massachusetts and we have supplied these since the 1050s. We call them load insulators and they are good for 3 to 60 tons load rating and up to 1000 Volts DC. They can be integrated into the hook block or can be used as a stand-alone accessory. The brand name is ISO/Link-DC and you can have a look at www.millerproducts.net.

Best regards,
Paul
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-02-2008 15:06
Hello Paul, and thank you very much for getting back to this thread and providing that information. I had seen some of these years ago but couldn't remember the manufacturers name nor could I locate any when I tried googling them. Once again thanks and best regards, Allan
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-02-2008 17:27
Similar to what other posts mentioned, we use insulated swiveling hooks on our shop cranes.  Each crane has one so there is no need to ever remove them.

We have also used nylon straps before and they work well too.  The only problem has been that they can be damaged more easily.

Our first ever insulated hook was rated for 8 tons while our cranes are rated for 10 tons (good deal on a trial unit).  So everyone had to be careful not to exceed the hook limit.  It sounds pretty straightforward, but folks would take the hook for granted after a while and fail to think about it. We never had any mishaps, but that first hook was replaced with 10 ton hooks once we decided that was the way to go, so that issuehas gone away.

I just looked at the hooks to get the brand name but all I see is an insignia in it.  I'll find out the brand once the maintenance supervisor has a chance to get to his file cabinet.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Insulated crane hooks