Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Best Friend...
- - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-30-2006 02:00 Edited 10-30-2006 02:02
Hey guys,
I wanted to share with you another unique metal fabrication idea you may find favor. I recently lost my best friend and I wanted to show my dedication to his unwavering loyality and companionship with his special marker. For those of you with those furry, four-leg companions who cherish your time together, this may give you an idea for your own way to show how you cared for your "special buddy". His name was "BO" and he was a 4 lb. Teacup Yorkie....my best friend. I guess now you see how I got the handle "yorkiepap". I used a 5"W X 15"H piece of polished aluminum diamondplate and outlined on the back the template. Most of the cutting was on my bandsaw and the inside cuts were with a 2" cutoff wheel. I laminated his photo between 2 welding helmet outer plastic shields that are quite thin and work very well and is waterproof. I made the top & bottom clips from 1/2"W X .045 alum. strip and drilled & tapped the al. D/Plate with a 6X32 tap.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0228.jpg

Denny
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-30-2006 04:06 Edited 10-30-2006 04:14
Good job, brother. I lost my dog this month, had to euthanise him. The circumstances are unbelieveable. I don't have anything like that for him. Hurt me more than I thought it would!  Goes to show you how much they really impact your life. Mine was "Butterbean". Sorry for your loss. Good time to get a new pup, that's what I truly believe! We're on the show circuit and have many Yorkie friends. Give me a shout!
  What was the pooch's name?
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 10-31-2006 00:50
Sorry to hear about your guy's dogs.My family and I have 4 dogs.All mixed muts and we love em' alot.Nice marker Denny.Very cool.Gary.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-31-2006 13:52
Sorry for your losses, guys.  If my dog doesn't start listening to me, he's going to get hurt.  As I've said before, my dog only understands French, but the only French I know is "venez ici", which means "come here". So, when I want my dog to "come here", I have to say "venez ici". But, to get him out of harm's way when I'm working, I sometimes need him to "go over there". Since I don't know how to say "go over there" in French, I have to stop what I'm doing, go over there, and say "venez ici". I've tried to talk to him about this several times, but he just ignores me and keeps on typing.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2006 15:09 Edited 10-31-2006 15:12
http://www.foxterrier.com/images/typingwft.jpg

Scott that's a pretty smart dog you have there.....
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-31-2006 15:17
Man, I thought my dog was cool, cuz he could lick his own jewels!

Is that pooch typing up procedures?
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-31-2006 16:10
swnorris--

East German Shepherd typing skills aside, do you really have a dog that was trained in French?  I ask because I used to live in Israel with an English-only dog.  We left him in the care of a friend when we went on vacation and she said she got some really weird looks talking to the dog in one language and to her kid in another.

But he was a good dog.

Hg
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-31-2006 17:32
No.  I was just trying to be funny.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2006 17:39
But I really did see him typing and I posted a pic.....LOL
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-01-2006 01:29
Hey Guys,
I want to express my grateful thanks to all your comments. Also, your posts have made chuckle, especially SD's classic response, and it will still take me a little more time and I'll get another to be my new buddy.

Hey John Wright.....is that your pup doing the typing???? If it is, would you please loan him to Sourdough so he can teach SD how to use Photobucket.........  :>)))))

As far as languages, most do not realize the intelligence of a dog. Scientists are finding how the canine is very receptive to understanding languages. My pup was uncanny on how he understood all I said to him, and he communicated to me in his way that I understood what he wanted. Of course, I spoke to him since the day I got him like he was a person.

Anyway guys, you're the best.....make a person feel good when having a slight downer.....THANKS.....Denny
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-01-2006 12:30
Oh man!

I thought that WAS John.

Brown hair ... little white on the beard..
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-01-2006 13:22
Nope, wasn't me, it was Scott's dog....I have glasses. ;-)
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-01-2006 17:06
My dog was taught strictly in German. Made things confusing sometimes cause my wife doesn't speak it. Golehekine means golden child. Faruk, well you can figure that one out!
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 11-15-2006 12:47
Not to get picky, but golden child in German is "goldenes Kind".  I speak German and don't recognize "Golehekine".  For all of you owners of "foreign language speaking" dogs, I would point you to the Babel Fish Translator on website altavista.com.  Really is a great service and, best of all, it is free.  You can get translations from/to a number of languages.  Check it out.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-18-2006 02:28
My grandmother is full blooded from east Germany and describes her language as low, whatever that means. Anyway, this is where I learned
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-22-2006 04:44
I'm not much for web sites. Post your reply - TO ME!
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-23-2006 04:24
It's a link to an article on the Low German dialect.  Origins, areas of use and so forth.  I thought you might find it interesting.  The link is clickable.
Merry Christmas to all.
Bill
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 11-12-2006 03:24
Hey Denny, we're at the Pueblo show and have seen a lot of Yorkshires! I gotta admit, I don't see me getting another pup anytime soon. Guess I was more attached than I thought I was w/ this one. Sure you know what I mean. . .Figure I'll whip out a marker on the jet next week.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-14-2006 01:49
Hey SD,
Glad to hear you're making a marker....post a photo, ok? Next show, grab me a Yorkie!!!! Naw...just kiddin'. I'll be getting another in a few weeks or so. Just gotta let go of my ol' friend emotionally. Thanks bro'....Denny
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 11-10-2006 18:54 Edited 11-10-2006 19:01
Denny,
I also am sorry for your loss. The reason I never let any of my kids have a pet mammal (except for a gunea pig once) was the loss I felt when my first pup died and even worse after I lost my German Shepherd.
The artist is eternal... there are a lot of common household chemicals, such as lye in some oven cleaner, which will permanently etch aluminum very cheaply and with relative safety to persons and environment. Electronic circuit photosensitive etch mask, tape, magic marker, (clear) spray or brush paint, sometimes even Pam cooking spray can work to engrave a simple pattern, outline, or design. Sounds like you might be developing into another Albrecht Durer (I am thinking of whoever it was who was the artist who created the famous print of those two praying hands)

Luck & Regards,
D
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 11-14-2006 01:37
Hey Dee,
Thank you. I appreciate your comment about Albrecht Durer....I wish I had his artistic eye. I have to admit I cannot really draw well, but can sketch reasonably. BTW, I have one of Durer's copper "Praying Hands" that is on a copper-framed plaque with the word LOVE. It was given to me as a gift....quite unique. I do enjoy trying new ideas and fabricating unique items. I have a friend who is checking into some transfer methods I may employ, and I made a couple markers with gold letters and date numbers to see how they looked. I and others like them well, so I do add those if ordered with name and DOB/DOD. I just posted some of my wares on the "Shop Talk" section to Shadowwelder who is looking for winter projects to market. Take a look......Thanks again...Denny
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Best Friend...