Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need your help to determine year of sa 200 (locked)
- - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-26-2006 02:46 Edited 11-26-2006 04:32
Hi there, my dad picked up this thing yesterday and I'm trying to figure out approximately what year it is. the serial # says 39136, but I thought they were supposed to be six digits, the five digit ones were between 1935 and 1944 (shorthoods) werent they? Its not a red face but the face plate is quite small and the leads are coming off of the front of the machine leading me to believe its fairly old (late 60's early 70's?). He's about 1500 miles away from where I live so I'm getting him to take some more pictures with the doors up. He didnt say if it had a round or octagon generator or manual or electric idle or f-152 or f-153. I'll post more pictures as he gets them to me. Thanks in advance for helping to solve this mystery! downhandonly.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/downhandonly/sa2001.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/downhandonly/sa2002.jpg
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-26-2006 05:20
P.S. had another brainwave, no ignition switch or choke in the front must be in the back by the battery box. also if you look REAL hard at the picture where the serial number is you can barely make out "arc welder" under the "lincoln". that is usually written in red right? so maybe the rest of the red is weathered away on the top and bottom of the faceplate making it look like its just silver and black?!? could this be a red face in disguise? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 11-26-2006 07:42
hey downhand , e-mail me and i will foward a page that has some yrs. and numbers . i don't think you have enough didgets  . try to contact "welderseller" i think he has some info. that may help . there are others on the forum also . i'll go out to our yard tomorrow and look at some of the machines see if i can find anything that may help . i like the pictures of your welder when you put it on the truck very nice . keep up the good work that you do with these machines they are my favorite . willie 
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-26-2006 15:05
talked to my dad this morning and he said he removed a couple of the screws holding the face plate on and there was red paint underneath! also he took some more pictures of it and it has a round generator! the top corners of the face plate are rounded leading me to believe that it is a f-153.  he said it definitely only has 5 numbers for the serial which doesnt seem to be correct but possibly the machine was not built in the USA? could a Canadian machine have 5 numbers?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/downhandonly/sa2004.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p185/downhandonly/sa2003.jpg
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 11-26-2006 17:36
to the best of my knowledge, the shorthoods were f162's and the last shorthood was built in 1956.In 1957, lincoln started building the long frame sa 200 and they were f163's. from the looks of your machine, it has the round armiture.the first year that lincoln made the square armiture(with flat sides)was in 1970. it is definitely older than 1970 from the looks of your picture.i will look at my records with your numbers and will try to "date" your machine. thanks darin
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 11-27-2006 20:03
talked to a guy this morning with a machine just like this one.  his serial # was also only five digits and his was a 1969 so i figure this one is right around there. thanks!
Parent - By jkin (**) Date 11-29-2006 20:26
It's not a redface, I see it has the R57 idol device,the redface and black face welders had theR57 idol device. I would say late 60's maybe 67-68 model, I will look on my list of years when I get home. And the red behid the name plate is probably primer. To be a redface the control panel plate will be red instead of black.
Parent - - By jkin (**) Date 11-29-2006 20:51
You need 6#'s it's probably A539136 our A639136 need to know, If you can't read it on control panel plate it might be stamp on the engine head or the bottom of the oil pain. If you can't read the code # it will be stamp on armeture housing on bottom right side. You'll need it for ordering parts. And don't order from Lincoln.
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 01-03-2007 07:47
check www.firstratefabricators.com this is a page full of #'s and years
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I need your help to determine year of sa 200 (locked)