Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prequalified fillet (locked)
- - By mallard Date 12-28-2006 21:48
Simple question.  I am trying to find where the prequalified procedure is for a PJP simple fillet weld in D1.1, nothing exotic just two plates comprising a standard fillet joint.  Thanks any help will be appreciated.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-28-2006 22:41
i think your confusion is, if i'm understanding your question, a pjp weld and a fillet are two different types of weld. it looks like you want a prequalified fillet weld. look in aws d1.1 chapter 2 for fillet design and chapter 3 for qual 3.9(06)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2007 15:21
Hogan is right, two different joints altogether.
There are "groove welds" and there are "fillet welds".
PJP - Partial Joint Penetration is a "groove weld".

You will need to write your own prequalified welding procedure per the first sentence in paragraph 3.6.
There are only prequalified joint configurations shown in Section 3 of D1.1.
Annex Q has listed the Items that need to be addressed in your procedure and use Table 3.7 to make sure all of your essential variables remain prequalified, if not, you must qualify your welding procedure.<--see paragraph 3.7 for more explanation of the essential variables required.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prequalified fillet (locked)