Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / help with capping with 3/16" (locked)
- - By samh (**) Date 12-29-2006 04:43
I HAVE BEEN ON STRUCTURAL FOR THREE YEARS AND NOW IM GOING TO TAKE ANOTHER JOB IN FEB ON PIPELINE. I HAVE ALWAYS CAPPED EVEN UP TO 12" WITH 5/32" 70+. THE GUY IM GOING TO WORK FOR SAYS ANYTHING OVER 6" IS TO BE CAPPED WITH 3/16". I CAN GET THE TOP AND BOTTOM LOOKING GOOD BUT THE MIDDLE I ALWAYS HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY PUDDLE TRYING TO RUN ON ME. I HAVE A 200 LINCOLN AND I RUN IN THE 200 RANGE AND ABOUT 70 AND ABOUT 40 ON THE BOTTOM. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING. ANY SUGGESTIONS?  
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-29-2006 06:35
I am still really a beginner pipe welder and still in school but I'd say when I was welding 8 inch schedule 60 pipe I would pause on the sides and go fast through the middle. I found sometimes if I had to much heat and maybe not going fast enough through the middle it would want to run on me. I have never welded pipe with the sa 200 welders only a pure DC Miller machine at school. My filler rod would be a 7018 3/32 rod then my cap would be a 1/8 7018 for the cap. I'm not good enough to run the 1/8 filler yet seems like I tend to carry way to much metal and get alot of dripping and can't keep up. I would weld this pipe in the 5G position as well. You could go with a smaller 7018 rod like me till you get the hang of it and then try going to a bigger rod just to see what happens.

Go post on this website unless you already know about them these guys on this page are pipe welders and could help you more then I could I post there alot. They have help me tons through my pipe welding in school http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Chris
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-29-2006 08:27
You need to be alot more specific here samh.

What is the position you will be welding in? I am assuming 5G. I am also going to assume that since you are running 7010+, you will be running this downhand, starting at the top (12 O'Clock, and progressing to 6 O'Clock). We ran alot of 6010 on water towers and if memory serves me correctly, we ran it around 160 amps on 3/16" rod. Maybe a couple of the pipeliners in here can give you a little more help. One apmperage setting will work for all around the pipe. If you puddle is running on you, you are trying to carry too much metal. Are you trying to run stringers or weave it?? I guess I would suggest, turning down your amperage a little and moving just a little faster

Mike
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-29-2006 20:53
I think you are running too hot in the vertical pos. I'm guessing you're putting an uphill cap on, am I right? Another thing you might try is more of a weave than an ocsillation. If you broaden your weave width and pause longer on the sides, fast across the middle, you can keep your puddle halfway round behind you. A lot of guys frown on this, but I can't run that big of rod uphill any other way. That's a lot of heat to run uphill. What thickness pipe wall are you welding, and what position,(6g),? I've never needed more than 5/32, personally. Good luck, I'm sure you will figure it out.
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 12-29-2006 23:06
NO IM WELDING DOWNHILL WITH 8010G. I THINK I NEED TO SPEED UP BUT WHEN I SPEED UP IT SEEMS LIKE IM NOT TIEING IN ON THE SIDE GOOD. IM WELDING IN THE 5G POSTITION ON BOTH 500 WALL AND 250 WALL.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-30-2006 04:21
Hate to get you more steamed up, but you didn't specify, so it's your fault nobody is understanding your question.
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 12-30-2006 07:57
I WAS POSTING THE QUESTION FOR PIPELINERS TO HELP ME ON LIKE YOURSELF THATS WHY ALL I SAID WAS 70+ EVERY PIPELINER SHOULD KNOW WHAT A 70+ IS
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-30-2006 08:14 Edited 12-30-2006 08:21
sorry dude I was thinking uphill that is all i have ever done in school. and you didn't specify for pipeliners
I was just trying to help
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 12-30-2006 10:36
samh , need a little more info . what part of the world are you in ? are you just practicing on cupons ? i find that most cupons are harder for me to weld than actual lenghts of pipe because they do not disapate heat as well . are you doing the entire weld or just the cap ?  caps are hard to do , they take a steady hand and younger people than me . have you  done strippers  if needed ? changing the electrode angle is very important to control the puddle  at approx 2 / 4 oclock ?are you changing rod angle positions at 4 oclock from 10 / 15 degrees to approx 20 / 25 degrees and using a slant weave untill you reach approx 5 oclock to where you start o head welding then to horse shoe weave to keep the drip tendency to be held by surface tension , assisted by the arc force . it's hard for me to visulize whats happening with out seeing it but there are others on this forum who only need a blind fold to tell whats happening . e- mail me if you need to , stay in touch and let us know what you do to solve this . good luck . willie 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-30-2006 16:44
[deleted]
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 01-02-2007 22:58
THANKS WEBBCITY.  I WILL TRY TO ADJUST MY ANGLE MORE ON MY 2 TO 4 OCLOCK POS. I TOOK A EIGHT INCH 45 TODAY AND MADE IT FINE. BENT STRAPS AND ALL WERE GOOD SO I QUESS THAT PROVES THAT I KNOW A LITTLE BIT ABOUT WELDING SOURDOUGH. 
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-03-2007 14:03
You know, when you write in all caps i'm sort of thinking you're angry or something. My original reply to you was offering only help. I'm happy that you passed your test. . .
Parent - - By samh (**) Date 01-03-2007 23:10
I ALWAYS WRITE ALL CAPS IM UNEDUCATED WITH COMPUTERS. THANKS FOR THE HELP. NO ANGER HERE. I HAVE LEARNED ALOT FROM YOU GUYS ON HERE AND WILL CONTINUE TO.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-06-2007 14:41
This site is great, its the only one I frequent. As far as computers, I'm a green horn too! Godd luck in your endeavors, and God Bless!!
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 01-07-2007 18:51
samh , how you doing keep us posted . it only gets better the noise and the bright lites . good luck willie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / help with capping with 3/16" (locked)