Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 1104 or AWS D1.1, easier on the exam?
- - By bellardr Date 12-29-2006 02:10
If someone doesn't use codes, say an Educator, which open code book exam would be easier to test on?  I see the 1104 is about 90 pages and the D1.1 is about 500 pages. Or is there another code that is more user friendly?

Thanks,
Randall
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-29-2006 02:57
While some say it is easier to take the test to 1104, the bigggest thing I found, was knowing how to manuver through whichever book you are using, and know where to look for the answers. Memorizing is not the key, the key is knowing where to find what you are looking for. Knowing how to use the table of contents, and the index. Tabbing the book also helps. A big time saver for me, was making a list of all the preaproved joints and what page they were on in D1.1. That way, you don't spend valuable time searching the book for them. I also pulled the table of contents, and the index out of the book, stapled them together, and laid them on the table in front of me. That also saved me a lot of time. Remember to look for footnotes, as not doing so will give you problems.

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Mike
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-29-2006 03:27
I agree that AWS D1.1 is easier if you take the time to prepare both yourself and the Code. I also suggest that you add keywords to the index. For example, if you look up F number in the index, you will not find it. Add it to the index so you can find it easily.

Like many codes, AWS D1.1 will direct you to a different paragraph (reference), table or figure. Add the "forewarding address", i.e., page number of the reference to the margin next to the paragraph.

Highlight all the little, tiny, winnie, footnote numbers in the tables so they stand out. There is no need to highlight the text of the footnotes, you have already been alerted to look for the text by the highlighted numbers in the table.

The commentary is not going to be a source of a test answer, so put a big paper clip or elastic band around the commentary and the nonmandatory annex sections.

Tab the Sections on the long edge, tables and figures along the top and bottom edges. Make sure you can read each tab. Figures are at the back of each section, tab the first page of the figures, there's no need to try to tab each figure. The forewarding addresses you write in the margins will get you to the proper figure with little effort.

As stated by others, don't try to memorize the code. Read it once to see how it is laid out. Add tabs on your second read once you are more familiar with what is in the code. Everything looks important on the first read. Know what each section covers so you can read the test question and determine if the question is about design (Section 2), fabrication (section 5), inspection (section 6), etc.

Some reference paragraphs have titles that don't use typical jargon. Add terms that you might better understand in the margins. Example, reference 5.22.1 Fillet Weld Assembly; add "fitup requirements / root opening" to the margin.

You can write notes in the margins, but if memory serves me correctly, They would not allow "loose" notes or paper in the code book.

Study before taking the AWS seminar so you are not overwhelmed by new information. Be prepared!

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Al
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 12-29-2006 23:58
I had the list of joints taped to the inside front cover of my D1.1. The proctor saw it, and the table of contents as well as the index laid out on the desk, and he said, as long as it is part of the book, he would not prohibit it.

Mike
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-29-2006 15:23
A code is a code. If you become familliar with 1104, it is easier. If you do the same with D1.1, then it is easier. The test is designed to determine if you can use a standard to answer questions. Learn how the satndard is organized, and tab that suckerr!
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 12-29-2006 16:58
Good answer.  In the real world you might work with one code or several, sometimes more than a few per day.  Having a good general knowledge of the codes and knowing where to find the answers to questions you don't know is key.  Try color coded tabs like Yellow for general info, Green for tables, Red for formulas, etc. 
Just dont get too carried away or you'll defeat the purpose fo tabbing and highlighting.
Parent - By vonash (**) Date 12-30-2006 02:20
API 1104.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-30-2006 13:01
I have never taken the API 1104 test. I have taken the B31.1/Sec IX back when they had it. I have also taken the D1.1. I think the deciding factor is what code you use most often.

I would not base the decision on how many pages are in the code. I know the D1.1 has an index and I would think the 1104 does too. The 1104 test consists of 60 questions and the D1.1 46.

I think a little study time would be a key factor. I took the test about a month ago and noticed my final score dropped considerably on the open book code section. I didn't spend any time studying and don't spend any time reviewing my answers when I am done with a test so I got a true reflection of what I knew at the time (or how good I was at using the code). My score came down on my score enough to let me know I need to spend a little more time in the code book to be better at my job.

Have a good day.

Gerald
http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-30-2006 16:23
I've taken it to D1.1 and API 1104 on recert. I depends on what your familiar with. A lot of guys came out cussing and discussin the D1.1, but imho the D1.1 test is better. These same guys were the same ones bragging about getting hammered the previous night before the test.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 01-01-2007 10:10
Hello guys,
A big Happy New Year to everyone.
As mentioned by previous posters it is the code you are most comfortable with.
I did my CWI with ASME IX and a lot of guys laughed at me because some of the other Australian/New Zealand codes were a lot smaller but I was living in ASME IX everyday and that made it quite easy.
As explained to me you don't have to memorise the code, you only have to be able to navigate the code.
The test allowed no time for browsing, you had only enough time to read the question, go to the required section and then write the answer. If you had to search you were going to fail.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 01-02-2007 17:47
even though d1.1 has more pages, it is so well indexed. you can take a question and look it up in the index and 90% of the time you'll find it on your first try. this is not possible with 1104
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 1104 or AWS D1.1, easier on the exam?