Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is this? (locked)
- - By ftgokie Date 01-03-2007 00:30
Im 38yrs old and fixing to change carreers. Im going into welding and going to buy a couple welders. This guy in my hometown has had this welder as long as I can remember. I know he welded on the Alaskan pipeline and welding was his trade for years till he retired. I seen him welding with this welder last week and today i seen him in town and asked if he would sell it. He didnt want to but after talking to him for a cpl hrs and telling him im going to welding school this month, he said he would sell it. He said the only reason he would sell it to me is because he knows my dad. He said its a very dependable welder, he used it for his job till he retired and now just uses it in his shop. He has another welder like it in the shop that he said he went through and would sell it also. He quoted me a price of 1350.00 for the 2 welders. I tried to get up to look closely  at the welder, but he has a man eating german sheppard that runs around his shop and when i opened the car door all i heard was growling and seen sharp teeth so I didnt wanna chance it. He is out of town till saturday so this is all I have.. ANy help if you can give some would be appreciated......Thanks....Shawn

Here is a link to the pic of the welder

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/ftgokie/IMG_0611.jpg
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 01-03-2007 02:03
Looks like a
lincoln 200 to me.Great DC welders.Preferred by pipe junkies for sure.Two for $1350.00 is a steal if ya ask me.They might look rough,but they do weld sweet.It really depends on what kind of welding you want to do though.They dont have AC for aluminum or arc-blow,and they are an outside/welder.Can you weld outside alot where you live? There's probably about a million people on this board right now trying to locate these welders on there GPS. L.O.L. They are quite sought after.
Parent - - By ftgokie Date 01-03-2007 02:44
After finishing welding school im gonna try the portable welding service thingy.. Im tired of working in a factory for some dumb a@@ college grad that has no clue and doesnt have a lick of common sence. I was just out about 30 min ago and another guy down the road has a nice looking 200 on the back of his truck and the truck has a for sale sign on it. Now that I have been looking for this type of welder, im seeing them everywhere....Now that I think of it, my uncle has one sitting beside his shop.....anyways...Im gonna try and get some numbers off the welder in the pic to see what exactly it is.....
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 01-03-2007 07:59
Get the one called "code".  Then go to lincolns site and you can download a users manual.
Bill
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-05-2007 14:29
ftgokie , nice picture these are my favorite they just burn a lot of gas you can re-power if you need to , but gas is still cheap its our dollar that has lost value . a word of caution welders on trailers are stolen easily we have lost some thru the years . one of the welders working on a water pipe was welding in a bell hole and told me he usually would put a wrap of his lead around him but didn't on this day and while welding he felt the lead pull finally it ripped out of his hand as he came up the ladder he saw his truck being stolen leads draging off . so remember to keep truck keys in your pocket . good luck let us know how you do . willie
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-05-2007 15:21
Willie,
One could only imagine what "could have" happened to him, had one of the leads wrapped around his leg or something as the truck was being stolen.....
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-05-2007 15:55
hey john , we were doing construction in so. cal in 87 the oil boom in alaska was over and te economy was crashing so on the road . lots of piplines for water down there at that time . it was about 90 degrees and we had a cat d-8 with a couple of equalizer mounting lugs broke off i cheated and jacked it up with the dozer blade blocked it for safety then had to crawl around under not much room to weld so rather than flip my hood would just reach over and grab a rod , while grabing a rod one time it wiggled i had just grabed a snake by the tail i crashed out of there real fast the other guys were standing close by the weld truck said that was the fastest they had ever seen me move and thought i was headed back to the north slope . i was just up there 2 wk. before was 47 degrees below zero . i blocked the snake off where he couldn't get to me and finished in a hurry . while we were talking the other welder told many stories and i always remember that one . i have more but have to post later . good luck and please keep up all the good things you do on the forum . willie
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-05-2007 16:36
More than one snake has crawled up onto dozers or frontend loaders only to surprise a mechanic....I guess they find a heat source and crawl up there just to get warm....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What is this? (locked)