Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / trying the suggestions given for overhead root pass (locked)
- - By weldment (*) Date 01-08-2007 23:39
Wanted to say THANKS for all of the suggestions given to this forgetful ol welder about how to run that overhead root pass with 1/8 5P rod.  I found that it worked best for me to position those coupons to where I ran that thing like I would a horizontal weld.  Anyway I used about a nickel land and a 3/32 gap and it went in there pretty dad gum good for me.  They have us using those ol red 5p's over there at that school where I'm welding at.  I really do like those grey 5p+ rods better but they are so dad gum cheap over there they don't want to cough up any more money than what they have to.  I'm trying to hang in there long enough to get onto that pipe which is what I need to be on.  I've been over there since August and it has been an experience for sure.  They have the thing set up so you have to go through the structural part first.  It's been sort of frustrating for me because I've been welding for about 16years but have been out of it for about 8 now due to some health problems that have gotten straightened out.  I decided it was time for me to get back to work but had to refresh myself on my welding. So that's how I got into the school.  They want you to do a little bit of mig welding after this and then on the pipe.  The instructor told me that he wasn't going to keep me on the mig too long.  I'm anxious to get on the pipe so I can get my hand back and get to work.  Also in all of my previous years of welding I never got the chance to learn how to TIG either.  We are supposed to get on that as well.  So I've got some things to accomplish here but I know that I can do it.  You guys will probably be hearing from me a lot bending your ear for some help if you don't mind.  Thanks again for all of the help so far it is very much appreciated.
Take care.
Weldment
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-09-2007 04:36
I didn't know they still made the red 5p. . .Glad to hear you are having fun, take care!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / trying the suggestions given for overhead root pass (locked)