Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Roof Deck Welding
- - By kpauley (*) Date 11-15-2001 21:38
We are currently arc spot welding 22 Ga. roof deck to top chords of bar joists using E6022 5/32 at about 170 Amps. Our problem is that the welding power source is on the ground (about 40 feet below) because it is too heavy to place on the roof. The majority of the buildings we erect are single story warehouses usually around 1,000,000 square feet. What we would like to be able to do is have our power sources light enough to place on the roof (about 200 lbs.) but yet have enough power to weld the deck. Any suggestions out there?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 11-15-2001 22:21
For a tough, light weight inverter power supply with more than enough power for you application, try PowCon. Esab also has a 350mpi power source that thier catalog lists at 101 lb net weight. I don't have any experience with that one though. I am also assuming that you have power available at the jobsite and are looking for a single or three phase power source, not an engine driven welder. If you are looking for an engine driven welder under 200lb, you can forget about it unless there is something a LOT smaller out there than I know about.

G Roberts
Parent - By Mike Sherman Date 11-16-2001 00:40
When I take my crew up high we have two choices, one is I have my Lincoln Ranger 9 gas drives on wheels and we set them up there with a forklift or a crane. The second is to use a generator and a long cord for our Miller XMT 304 invertors. This is not always practical, voltage drop is a concern when you run 500' of extension cord.
Parent - By Mike Brace (**) Date 11-16-2001 13:07
Have you looked at the Maxstar 200 ST? It is a 200 amp stick machine that weights 32 pounds and will run on 120 volt to 460 volt single or three phase. This sounds like what would fit you needs. I have welded with this machine and it does an excellent job.
Parent - By dong won oh (*) Date 11-22-2001 05:33
My approach is different.
You may use welding machine on ground level.
1) use high capacity welding power source(min. 350 amp) to get enough voltage.
2) use 120 sq(mm2) earth cable from your power source to the roof.
(I expect 50 feet)
3) use 80 - 100 sq torch cable from your power source to the holder cable. use standard torch for easy handling for welder.
80-100 sq is three times bigger than the normal cable, which allows you three times longer extension without voltage drop.
You may use much large dia. torch cable from power source to the roof edge.
4) divide four or more section to set the welding power sources.

dong won oh
Seoul, Korea
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Roof Deck Welding