Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Question - regarding QC1:2006
- - By new tito (***) Date 01-11-2007 18:33
It's been a while since I last checked qualification requirements to gain the CWI.  I snooped around a bit on the AWS webpage and noticed they have a link to QC1:1996(i think), QC1:2006, and AWS B5.1 Qualification for inspectors.

I first looked through QC1:2006 and noticed that the qualification requirements have been removed, and that it refers you to AWS B5.1.  Go to look at B5.1.....AND IT SAY IT'S AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE!!!!!!  You've got to be kidding me!!!  You have to buy a publication just to find out the qualification requirements????  Am I missing something??  AWS doesn't make enough money on the thousands of people each year that pay over $2000 for the exam and siminar??  Now you have to buy a book just to see if you even qualify?
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-11-2007 18:50
You've got mail! :)
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 01-11-2007 18:56
No, you don't have to buy a book.

You can find the qualification requirements here:

http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/qc196.html

(You need to scroll down to section 5.2, or I can post it here.)

This document is better formatted, and contains some additional information:

http://www.aws.org/certification/CWI/certqc1-06.pdf

Not that I want to stop you from buying the book, of course :)  Just pointing out that you don't need to.

-- Christine
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-11-2007 19:15
Christine, I'm not sure QC1-1996 tells the "full" story; Paragraph 5.1 "Applicants seeking AWS SCWI, CWI, or CAWI certification shall meet the applicable education and experience requirements as stated in 5.5 of AWS B5.1, Specification for the Qualification of Welding Inspectors for the desired level of certification."

Each subsequent paragraph of QC1-96 defers to B5.1.  The qualification requirements were INTENTIONALLY REMOVED from QC1 during the 1996 timeframe.  The B5 Committee was formed to specifically delineate QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS as a TECHNICAL COMMITTEE.  The former Qualification & Certification Committee was separated into two separate committee's under my tenure as AWS Staff Engineer and the direction to do so came from the Board of Directors of that time period.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-11-2007 19:49 Edited 01-11-2007 19:57
In a nutshell, I have to buy B5.1 to find out if I'm qualified to become a CWI???

So then, QC1:1996 does NOT have the correct and/or current qualification requirements?  My guess would be that the general things are there, but you have to buy B5.1 to get ALL the requirements.  Is this correct? 

Not sure I want to buy the book.  I have a two year degree (AAS) from a technical college in QC and NDT, plus 7 years or so experience in NDT, weld inpsection, and so on to a national and/or international standard.  ! would think I meet the education and experience requirements.

EDIT - You've got to be kidding me!!!!!  I just checked the price online........$68!!!!!!!!  Come on AWS!!!  If this were a code or standard for a COMPANY to use to better their business, such as D1.1, or any of the other fabrication standards, go ahead, chege the heck out of them.  But seriously, to charge an individual $68 to find out if he's qualified or not........
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-11-2007 19:54
IHO you probably have more than adequate qualifications.  Most of the stuff can be gleaned from referenced documents.
Parent - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 01-12-2007 03:20
I remember when a  D-1.1 was about a hundred bucks for a new one.  Then in one year the price jumped up to over $300.00.  Ironically,the information inside was not any better than in the previous addition but it sure fell apart in a hurry!!  My first D-1.1 is still in great shape after nearly two decades.  Increased price certainly  does not mean increased quality by either front you judge code books against.  If you feel you must but their book then may I suggest Ebay as a option.  Bought my current D-1.1 for $2.00 from a disgruntled CWI. $8.50 to ship it to me.    Good Luck and I feel your pain!!!
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-13-2007 03:01
I don't think I would worry about it if I were you tito, I'd just send of the application. Unless I'm sadly mistaken, you already meet the requirements.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-15-2007 18:00 Edited 01-15-2007 18:04
This situation is exactly what I've been grousing about for a few years at various AWS meetings.

None of us fail to recognize that AWS has to generate funds in order to survive as a business. However, The B5 document and the QC document are sister documents. One is nearly useless without the other.

Any individual interested in pursuing certification through any AWS program should not be required to pay a rather handsome fee for the privilege of knowing what the requirements are before completing the application for the examination. I have made motions that both the B and QC documents be bundled to make it easier for the customer. So far, no success. Once again, AWS marketing at its best.

I keep asking myself if AWS is really interested in serving the membership and the welding community? It doesn't always appear that it is.

Best regards - Al 
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 01-19-2007 02:17
WE found the QCI requirements as noted by Cgregory to be correct.
Our company has many candidates for CWI who have their credentials, as promised, and in good status.
Best regards,
VonAsh
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-19-2007 02:45
They are correct for certification requirements, but do not adequately define the qualification requirements sufficiently to allow an applicant who may be unfamiliar with the past documents to know for sure whether or not they have all of the correct qualfications.
Parent - - By jubail (*) Date 03-14-2007 02:36
AWS QC1-2007 Issued,

Web Link is,
http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/qc1-07.pdf

In 2007 Ed, there's some Error...  About Part C API 1105, Total Question is 60 from 2006.
On 2007, they say 46 Questions for all Part C Exam.
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 03-14-2007 14:20
The packet I just recieved says 46 questions for the code book portion.
Parent - - By Pete Howe Date 03-15-2007 11:55
The number of questions for various codebook exams varies. The API 1104 exam now has 60 questions, the AWS D1.1 exam has 46 questions, and the ASME Section IX, B31.1, + B31.3 exam has 55 questions. Both the QC1:2006 and QC1:2007 editions clearly show in 6.2.2 that 46 is the minimum number of questions for Part C codebook exams.

Regarding an earlier concern about having to buy the B5 standards, these are now free in PDF format and are posted in each certification program's document web page.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-15-2007 12:50
Hi Pete,
Thanks for clearing up the question of having to buy the standards to see if we qualify or not.

BTW, welcome to the forum. :-)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Question - regarding QC1:2006