Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bar code tags for steel inventory control?
- - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-10-2007 13:05
We're looking for info and hopefully someone can point us in the right direction...

We are looking for self sticking tags that can be printed with bar codes, section size, steel grade, etc. 
We want to use them on structural steel and plate that is stored outdoors so resistance to weathering is a big concern. 
Printing of the tags needs to be relatively simple so that yard personnel can make them as needed - with a laser printer, or special printer. We do not want to have to send tags out to have them made because "things" change too quickly in the yard. 
We do not want to use tags that have to be wired or tied to the steel, nor do we want to use the small welded studs that you sometimes see on the ends of angle iron.

If anyone has used such a system- how badly does rust affect the tags? (How well can they be read and how well do they stay on?)
Currently, we use paint markers, but have to spray paint a small patch to write on; otherwise rust will obliterate the writing in a relatively short time. And that takes a lot time to do and is prone to errors, so we are looking for a better method.

Any leads will be appreciated.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-10-2007 14:10
Chet,
The mills are currently using a vinyl sticker with all of the info you are requesting, so it is feasible. Unless the sticker is scraped by another peice or the handling equipment, those tags remain ledgible out on our outside yard for a long time.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-10-2007 17:07
That's sort of what we are looking for, we get them on mill supplied steel too, but have not found a supplier.  And as I mentioned, we need to be able to print them as we go.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-10-2007 17:34
chet , they make tags for lumber and logs and printers like you need i've seen them advertised but never needed them for what we do will try to dig thru some trade magazines see if i can find some that may help . good luck . willie
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-15-2007 14:36
Thank you
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 01-10-2007 19:37
Have you tried contacting the mill that uses this system?  Couldn't hurt to give them a call and see who they went through.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-15-2007 14:53
Our purchaser did talk with some mills but didn't get much info.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-10-2007 19:59
Hey chet,
We also use the vinyl stick-ons the owner gets from an office supplier. For our material that will be outside for a while, our shipper/receiver will tag the material on a clean area, or clean an area, tag it and lightly spray a clear coat of poly over it. Never lost one since and it's almost impervious to the weather....Denny
Parent - - By boring (*) Date 01-11-2007 03:43
http://www.mecco.com/bumpy_bar_code.html
Chet,
We were going to go with this system at my old job for mold identification.  I left before the decision was made, so I don't know if they went with it, but I can find out.  You can print up your own tags in brass or even plastic for outdoor applications.  Kinda pricey, but at least you would have control of the stuff.

Mike
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-15-2007 14:57
We want to avoid tying or wiring on tags because every piece of steel would need one.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-15-2007 14:55
Are those a standard office supply tyupe item?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 01-15-2007 15:02
Everyone,
Thanks for the responses and I apologize for not getting back sooner, especially since I'm the one who started this thread.  It has been crazy here- hardly time enough to think straight.

Right now, we are still looking at various systems and will be evaluating some of them.  I'll let you know what we find out.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-13-2007 11:19
Hey Chet!
How's your search coming on this item of interest? While I was out taking a vacation lastweek, our people were looking over and intertaining the idea of using bar coding here too. The shop manager is all against it, but I don't know where everyone else stands on the issue.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-13-2007 13:23
hi John,
We haven't done much more with this.  So far everything we tried seems to be about the same as far as durability.  Currently, we spray paint a small patch on one end of the material and write on that with paint markers. 
Probably the most effective approach we have found is having a crew that is dedicated to doing a good job in organizing and maintaining inventory.  The crew knows thay need to keep track of what is where and that makes thier job easier.  The paint markings last about a year but our guys "freshen them up" when they are doing inventory checks on storage areas.
If you have a crew who doesn't care...then nothing is going to work well no matter what you do.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 02-14-2007 07:13
chet , i still haven't found info. yet but there is a new post on the forum might have something of interest for you . good luck . willie
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bar code tags for steel inventory control?