Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P-No. 1 Group 1 to Group 2 Tensiles and CVN
- - By troilite (*) Date 01-26-2007 18:59
I am reviewing an ASME IX WPS/PQR where notch toughness is required (ie supplementary essential variables are requried).  I received the following PQR:

P-No. 1 Group 1 welded to P-No. 1 Group 1.  Tensile tests done on this Group 1 to Group 1 coupon.  Impact tests done on a Group 1 to Group 2 coupon.

The manufacturer says that he is now qualified to weld Group 1 to Group 2.  I have believed all this time that Group 1 to Group 2 tensile and bend tests are also required, but I cannot find the words in ASME IX.  Could someone help me find the clause that requires tensiles and bends for Group 1 and Group 2 materials?

Thanks!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-26-2007 19:16
Check QW-200.3 and second paragraph of QW-401.3 and QW-403.5(c); pay particular attention half way down the paragraph on QW-403.5(c), which says... If, however, the procedure qualification....".  See if this helps address the situation?
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-26-2007 19:31
I am having a hard time with this. 

I think QW200.2 (a) coupled with QW403.5 comes close when they say: 

200.2(a)  The PQR is a record of variables recorded during the welding of the test coupons.  It contains the test results of the tested specimens.

403.5  For ferrous materials in QW422, a procedure qual shall be made for each P number Group number combination of base metals, even though procedure qualification tests have been made for each of the two base metals welded to itself.  It goes on to say more, but I don't think it applies to your situation unless all of the mechanical tests required for each of the 2 pqrs (including those when supplemental essential variables are required) are performed.

I don't see how any interpretation that includes mechanical results from one combination, coupled with the impact testing of a different combination, could possibly hold water.

I'll look in my Guide to Section IX and see if there is any commentary that applies.

Charles
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-26-2007 20:30
CASTI Guidebook to ASME Section IX, Micheal Houle, 2nd Edition:

pg 222 - QW-401.3 provides for a PQR which has been previously qualified to satisfy all requirements other than notch-toughness to be used in conjunction with a nothc toughness PQR test coupon.  A separate PQR test coupon may be prepared, using the same welding procedure, addressing the same essential variables, but also addressing all of the required supplemental essential variables.  The separate PQR test coupon need only be long enough to provide the necessary notch toughness specimens.  In other words, QW401.3 makes it clear that the non-notch toughness and notch toughness properties may be established using separate test coupons.

I learned soemthing new today (yet again).

Section IX QW401.3 backs this up.  This paragraph is not referenced in any of the QW250 tables, but it looks pretty obvious to me that it applies to all PQR/WPS.

I can scan a bunch of this guide and email it if you want.  There is more here that backs this practice up.

Charles.
Parent - By troilite (*) Date 01-26-2007 20:57
Charles,
Thank you very much for your responses.  The wording in ASME IX is difficult sometimes so I appreciate your help.

So QW 401.3 and QW 403.5 say that I can weld P1Gr2 from a P1Gr1 WPS/PQR + P1Gr2 impact test results?  Wow.  Talk about "You see what you are prepared to see."  I have the CASTI book and I actually had previously read that example, but somehow my brain did not interpret or understand it this way.  I was too convinced that I needed a Group 1 to Group 2 tensile test.

Thank you Charles and jon20013 for your enlightening answers.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-27-2007 05:00
That is the way I have always understood ASME IX. 

Another way to look at it is:
If you qualify a P1 to P1 procedure without impact tests, you are qualified to weld all P1 material without impacts regardless of the group number since the group number is not an essentail variable. So the PQR in question supports P1G1 to P1G1, P1G1 to P1G2, and P1G2 to P1G2.  When you add the CVN requirements, then you would have to qualify all 3 combinations seperately, with CVN tests only since the group number is a supplementary essentail variable. 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-29-2007 12:47
Greg; what's your read of QW-403.5(c); about half way down the paragraph, which begins... "If, however, the procedure qualification....".  My read is the Group number wouldn't necessarily require qualification as long as all of the same variables were used for the Gr.2 to Gr. 1.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 01-29-2007 20:20
That's what I get for doing things from memory.  Fogetting exemptions like that.  I agree that if all essentail variables are the same, it can eliminate some testing.  For instance, I would say that if you had to do a qualification for G1 to G1, and G2 to G2, and G1 to G2, then a PQR with G1 to G2 would cover it as long as CVNs were taken from both sides of the weld in the HAZ.

The paragraph also says that if the essential variables are the same on the "procedure specifications" (or WPSes) then the combination can be performed.  So I would think that as long as the supplementary essential varibles as supported by each PQR are complied with on the WPS, then I think combining a 3/8" thick G1 to G1 test with a 1/2" thick G2 to G2 test would get you the combination of G1 to G2 with a thickness limit of 1/2" - 3/4".
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-29-2007 12:43
Exactly what I was saying in my first post Charles.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-29-2007 16:55
Charles, you are correct, QW-401 is not referenced in any QW-200 or QW-300 Table because it is general information that describes the variables for Procedure and Performance Qual.  You'll see QW-401.1 and QW-401.3 apply to Procedure Quals where QW-401.2 and QW401.4 apply to Performance quals.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-26-2007 20:56
A few minutes ago I saw a post that is now gone.  You refered to the sentence following the one I quoted in QW403.5.  I saw that originally, but interpreted it as not helpful to your situation based on the fact that the two coupons you described (in your intial post) did not have the same level of testing done to each.  I just thought the sentence didn't apply for that reason.

I'm starting to go cross eyed on this one.

I can't remember the hypothetical question you posed, maybe it will show up again later.

Charles.
Parent - - By troilite (*) Date 01-26-2007 20:59
I posted it but immediately afterwards I saw that you had posted another reply.  I deleted my post so that I could fully re-think your answer.  My new post is in reply to your other post (these posts are getting out of order), but I guess that's what happens when we're posting at the same time.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 01-26-2007 21:04
I think I have caught up to the current situation.

I must admit, this is something that I'm going to have to think about further, particularly in light of the fact that we are getting ready for some PQRs with supplemental essential variables...

I guess alls well that ends well.

Charles
Parent - - By troilite (*) Date 01-29-2007 16:38
Thank you to everyone who replied to my post!

I have one more clarification regarding QW 403.5(c).  The middle paragraph has the statement "If, however, two or more qualification records have the same essential and supplementary essential variables...."

I assume this is talking about the PQR.  Does that mean that if my P1G1 to P1G1 PQR coupon was 3/8" thick, my P1G2 impact test coupon must be 3/8" thick also?  What if I have two P1G2 PQR's (impact test results only) that are 0.2495" and 0.500" thick?  I am having trouble between coupon thickness and qualified thickness.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-29-2007 16:47
My read on that particular subparagraph is like this: if you qualified a P1, Gr1 to a P1, Gr1 and wished to weld a P1, Gr1 to a P1, Gr2 then you would have to run separate PQR's EXCEPT if ALL essential variables (as described in that subparagraph) were the same and the ONLY thing changing is the Group number then you wouldn't have to run separate PQR's.

The paragraph is speaking to PQR's.  Most Codes set an impact thicknesses above 5/8" but I've had customers come back and request more stringent... in these cases you run a thinner material and just test the impacts... all other tests have been run.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-30-2007 16:24
This has always proven to be an interesting discussion. Another avenue to take is to use multiple spec materials, for example SA-572 60/70. This would cover (if memory serves) Gr 1 and 2 at the same time. The issue then becomes: are you accurately representing the conditions and material in service. However, this is always an issue. For example, if you limit yourself to Gr 1 only to establish Gr 1 Supplementals, what heat treat is your material being manufactured to? What deoxidation is the Gr 1 material undergoing in manufacture? What group 1 specification does it fall under? Not all Gr 1 C-steels are created equal under CVN regimes. Not all Gr 1 C-steels are equal under CVN regimes even in the same spec (ala heat treatment). Bottom line, the "Sound Engineering Judgment" criteria is never abandoned. You can find ways to save time and money, but do your research and understand what you're doing. Just because the code excepts it does not mean its the right thing to do. And just because you take advantage of  code liberality does not mean you are compromising weldment viability.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-30-2007 16:44
js55, I commend you on your commentary, very well said and right on target!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-30-2007 17:03
Thanks Jon. Many folks, myself included, since I spent many years on the production side, have been guilty of trying to find, easy solutions. When it comes to making it right, there's no escaping your due diligence in research. It is my own particular rant that it is not up to the code to tell us how to do it right. They have no idea what our particular applications are. And even though my fortunate experience teaches me the code guys are some really smart and experienced guys, they have no interest in doing our jobs, no matter how much we may want them to.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-30-2007 17:18
Hey, all is not lost.  If it were simply a matter of 1 + 2 = 3 we would all be replaced by computers or machines of some sort.  Thank God there isn't a mass produced machine that actually thinks!!!  On the opposite side of the coin, at least in my particular field, I have often had extreme difficulty in explaining to my QA functions the logic and boundaries of engineering judgment....
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / P-No. 1 Group 1 to Group 2 Tensiles and CVN