Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Started my welding classes
- - By RangerMan Date 01-30-2007 20:31
Just started my welding classes at the local community college.  1st day was safety and we all got to try cutting with an O/A torch...never cut through plate steel before and it was awesome!  Yesterday was my first chance to lay down a bead.  We had the choice to start with O/A or stick and I decided to try O/A yesterday.  Did pretty well, only burned through on my first try (1/8" steel, #1 tip).  Most of the course is focused on stick welding but I wanted to start with O/A and then move on to stick.  Wednesday's class will be just laying down a good bead on coupons.

Very excited, had a lot of fun and can't wait to start learning more!
Parent - - By obeamweldor Date 01-30-2007 21:55
Have fun and be safe!  Not much can beat laying down some fire!
Parent - By RangerMan Date 01-30-2007 22:46
I am into some other "as safe as you make them hobbies" (like target shooting) so even on my 2nd day of class I didn't mind politely pointing out some safety violations...like not closing the welding curtains when you are stick welding. 

O/A was fun.  Something about the raw nature of melting the metal and moving the puddle...

Got a little spolied when the instructor let us try out a MIG machine.  You would think we had all been doing it for years when we laid a bead, got good penetration and didn't burn through the piece.  Then he said, "you don't get to touch it again until the intermediate class" which is in mid march.

Never had time in High School to take shop so I get to live it out now. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Started my welding classes