Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Videos of welding
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-28-2007 21:57
I am about venture into a new task. I've been asked to teach an introduction to welding class. This is to be an online class with the purpose of giving students in a light gage metals trade organization enough information to learn some aspects of the welding technology available to most small welding shops. The basics only the basics is what they want to be taught.
There hope is that some of the students will then be motivated to go for the hands on labs in a more traditional environment, and even future certification.

I want to do torch safety at the beginning. Then I will demonstrate some welding skills.

What I need is to be able to put video up for them to see online. How do you video burning and welding?  What special equipment do you need?
Parent - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-01-2007 03:53
We have made a couple of different welding videos at this time.  Used a fixed lighter shade gold filter for the gas welding portion to show acutal welds being made.  For the TIG, SMAW, and MIG processes, we used an automatic adjustable welding helmet lense such as the Jackson Nexgen to cover the camera lense for these welding processes.  this worked unbelievabley well as it allowed you to film the actual weld being made start to finish including the very improtant portion of acutally striking the arc while using SMAW porcess.
xpertfab 
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2007 05:04
Hello dschlotz, as I recall there may be CD ROM video available through either Lincoln or Miller that you might be able to insert a link to to present your video information online by using what they have available. I know that Lincoln has had a big push lately in the form of a program that I believe they referred to as "no welding program left behind" or something to that effect. They were giving away CD sets to educational programs for free, I would imagine that you could contact them through their internet homepage and pose your request to them, I wouldn't be surprised if you have some success there. I think that would be a strong possibility with Miller also and maybe even ESAB. You won't know unless you try. Good luck Dennis, regards, Allan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-01-2007 07:59
Hey Dscholtz! There's a company called: "Wall Mountain Company" out of Bonners Ferry, Idaho...
They have some excellent video's in fundamental metal welding & cutting training especially for very reasonable prices & quality that's superb! Here's their homepage:
http://www.weldingvideos.com/

Their pricing is very reasonable, and they offer a guarantee that's solid and valid!
Here's theri order online link:
http://www.weldingvideos.com/orderonline.html

I personally believe that this company offers an excellent "benchmark" to follow if you are more in inclined
to consider producing you own videos... If you want to save time and keep things REAL SIMPLE - Buy the videos!!! I've used all of them in training folks with no experience at all in any type of metal work as well as using them to review the "Fundamentals" for folks that have'nt been around the processes or a torch in some time, and every single student or another instructor that I've worked with either went out and ordered their own copies or gave high praises for the straight fowardness of the way the concepts, subject matter were presented in a simple yet very accurate, understandable and comprehensive format. Either way, you ca'nt lose with these video's!!!

Btw, I do'nt get anything for plugging this outfit - no, no!!! I genuinely think that these products are excellent basic, fundamental welding/cutting audio/visual teaching tools for the beginner as well as an excellent reviewing tool for folks that have'nt been welding or cutting for a while and need some "brushing up" on their fundamentals.

Hi Allan! you also might've heard of this outfit above but if you have'nt, I would suggest that you do at least check them out my friend!

The Lincoln set of CD's titled: "No Teacher Left Behind" is a good teaching tool in that it's made up of mostly power point presentations with respect to the processes most widely used in separate CD's which include: SMAW, FCAW, GMAW, GTAW, SAW and Oxy-Fuel Welding as well as Oxy-Fuel Cutting (OFW/OFC Process). Each of these processes include with the powerpoint presentations - the respective lincoln catalogues representing what they have to offer as far as filler material, power sources & equipment and accessories for sale by lincoln as well as pre & post tests for the respective processes being covered in the power point presentations... What I also remember are the troubleshooting guides that accompany each process CD which are very helpful for students to learn.

I might've left some other items that are included with this program series of very good teaching tools provided free to welding educators last year... I believe that the suggested MSRP of $199.00 per CD is listed in the training set, and so I do'nt really know if you can still get a set for free but, It ca'nt hurt to ask your local Lincoln rep if they have one available for you to review;) or as Allan suggested to contact Lincoln via their homepage or directly.

Miller Electric also has some excellent training materials at relatively decent prices and would also complement the video series from Wall Mountain Company as would the Lincoln program... ESAB has ESAB University that also rounds out the teaching tools that wolud work well with whatever you decide to put together. Finally as Larry suggested, You cannot go wrong with Hobart's line of educational materials although some of these programs can be pricey but, they're far more comprehensive than the rest so, it's up to you as to what level of "Basic Fundamentals" program you want put together and of course, your own budgetary constraints will either limit you or may otherwise pay dividends in the long run as to the overall quality designed into your final product. Whatever route you choose, I wish you the best success!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-01-2007 08:21
Great suggestions Henry, you're much more comprehensive with your information than I was. I'll have to see about checking out the Wall Mountain Company stuff myself. I've heard of it, but haven't seen any of it personally. It's even in my back yard so to speak. Regards, Allan
Parent - By welderseller (**) Date 02-01-2007 12:00
  The suggestions so far are good ones. If you are just looking for short video clips, checkout Google Video. In the search box, type in welding, plasma cutting, or torch cutting. Another resource is to contact your local welding supplier. They usually have an extensive collection. Also, contact your local welding equipment manufacturer rep. In the past few months, I have been able to get video from Lincoln, Esab, Miller and Victor.
Parent - By smbid Date 02-02-2007 17:40
dschlotz,

The equipment for shooting the video isn't a problem, any camera will work. The real challenge is compressing the video files, and software is available to convert the files to mp1, divx, mp4 or even flash. Unless you have complete control of the viewing environment, though, video doesn't work for everyone on the internet. At the best compression, you still need a high speed connection, dial up is too slow. I recently took an online course and it was painfully slow. I didn't take the next course. For total accessability, many sites provide the basic information in text and images, with video as an option. Also, if you use material created by someone else, you should obtain copyright permission before you copy and publish it on the internet.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Videos of welding