Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cost of Certification vs. Benefit
- - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-02-2007 12:22 Edited 02-02-2007 12:32
In another thread, someone commented on the $2,000 cost of a CWI certification being high. Maybe, and I don't think the person who was thinking the $2K cost additionally considered the lost time for the classes to pass the test as a cost so $4K would be closer considering expenses and travel while going and attending. I have 4 industry recognized certifications. I was required by my employer to get my CWI back last year. Without taking the classes, books expenses and  travel wound up costing me right at $2K. With my recent yearly evaluation this one certification resulted in an extra $2.00 hour increase in my base wages. This was over and above my yearly increase. That over 2080 hours is $4160. Over the next 10 years that is $41600. On a 2 thousand dollar investment!
Ask your banker where you can make 200% return in one year and if it is a good investment?
My total investment in my certifications is around $12K Over the last 10 years that has resulted in roughly $20K more a year just on base pay. Add in overtime, and the benefit gets huge. That said, if someone wants to increase their net worth, invest in your own education and professional growth. My career is in inspection, but the craft side can benefit also. Take a class or training to increase skills. Attend seminars with industry professionals. You will be surprised how much just like you most of them are. I just saw an ad on NDT.org for contract CWI's at 35.00 per. plus sub. Figure what you are making and multiply the difference. Is it worth the investment?
I would borrow the money from a payday lender if I had to just to make the class.
Nothing is free and if you think education is expensive, figure up what ignorance cost. 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-02-2007 12:45
I agree, and have most definately benefited myself from being certified for the past 26 years, however I do think the costs are getting to be pretty outlandish regardless of how good the investment.  I'm not saying AWS shouldn't make a profit from the Certification programs it offers, but the cost to members should be controlled as much as possible.  It's my personal opinion that AWS is treating the CWI Program more as a cash cow than it should.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-02-2007 15:50
I agree jon, the class/ test is getting higher every time we send someone.  But then Kuh has a point too, it's really not much compaired to the benefits associated with having people with that level of training.  I guess the cost really falls in line with everything now a days, on the rise.  The AWS is like any other "business", and they use the money makers to pay the bills! 
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 02-02-2007 16:17
Yep, it would just be interesting to make a comparison between college tuitions and CWI Programs since 1976 inception.  I'm just curious if tuition costs have risen faster, equal or less than CWI exam / seminar.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-02-2007 17:08
AWS is in line with API. What gets me are the re-certification fees. My annual cost to maintain my 4 certifications is $1000. However, ,without it I would not be able to get the $$$ being offered. A certification program from a community college would cost much more than a industy certification. Right now a NACE CIP certification is $5K not counting expenses and time lost to attend the training. To take the 2 week course one would be looking at $7500 fees, expenses and lost wages. If one is attending as a employee, then the lost wages would be moot. However, those of us who look at inspection as a business, this education is just a continuing cost of doing business. And the more certification one has, the higher wages can be demanded.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-02-2007 17:56
On top of the Weld inspection training, I'm now just starting to get into the NACE training....I agree that it all adds up quickly.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 02-03-2007 21:40
with the all the costs of schooling and the loss of wages while attending schooling for welding, the real costs would be around 60 to 100k depending on the wage i would have been earning while attending school (field or shop). worth every penny and more not only for the extra wage earning potential, but more important to me the accomplishment and the ability to say that i took the professional route along with the respect that carries on the job.
education in any field is priceless, being the best we can be is really all we have and education helps facilitate that.
usually i say "you've got to burn to earn" but today i'll say "you've got to learn to earn"
good luck in all your studies and try your best cause there is only one first time
darren
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-06-2007 02:07
It's my personal opinion that anything that is required such as a CWI in many cases, becomes a cash cow for the issueing organization as soon as it becomes required.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-04-2007 17:20
I think there are some obtuse certs out there that have limited value, but on the whole, education, experience, and certification will always pay off in the long run assuming hardwork and continued education.

Dbigkahunna I think you nailed it with the "figure up what ignorance cost."

Figuring the cost of certification and education is not to difficult albeit high these days, but the cost of ignorance goes beyond just dollars and cents.

Imho inspectors should learn to weld, and welders learn to inspect, and the resulting mutual respect will better their lives and careers on the whole.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-04-2007 21:13
I think if someone is getting into inspection, the first cert. should be the CWI. After a couple of years NACE CIP then go for the API certifications. Right now a API certified inspector with CWI and NACE is setting pretty good. But it takes time and experience to qualify for the certifications. But it would take 3-5 years for a person just starting out to get the experience to qualify. Plus taking every chitty job that comes along just to get the experience.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 02-05-2007 17:12
You would go for NACE  before you'd go for some of the ASNT NDT certs?

Hg
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-05-2007 20:17 Edited 02-05-2007 20:20
Unless you are working for a NDT company, the ASNT certifications beyond MT and PT are not useful in generating $$$ A nice certification set up would be CWI, NACE CIP II and either API 653 and/or 570. Look at what $ ASNT certified inspectors get vs. the three $$$. Course the ASNT inspectors get to spend more nights in their own beds. And you have to network and hussle to make a good living as a independent third party inspector.
BABRT's 
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 02-05-2007 20:29
i found it useful to start with my ndt cert, allowing for the time required to get my cwi, then got my api,icc(formaly icbo). i did not really ever consider getting a nace cert, due to the lack of work where i want to live. it would be nice to have, but in my area the cost would not be justified.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-06-2007 01:53
I respectfully differ with the opinion of the ndt certs. NACE and API 653 are good money makers, but NDT MT,PT,"UT", and RT film interpretation +CWI and welding certs has made me lots of $$$. I don't know about spending more nights at home in bed either. I've been on the road 4/5th of my career, and at times gone in terms of years. I now work third party, and with that I find the knowledge of welding and NDT has paid lots of $$$.
Of the certs I have and have had, UT and the CWI has made the most cash, especially the UT. If your an independent TPI you may want to do some market research into the numbers of petrochem companies who are or are looking into requiring TPI of UT. I realize that sounds bad, but the real life truth is, there are just not many good manual UT hands out there. Take note of recent inclusion of UT in lieu of RT (ASME code case 2235-9 and Appendix U of API 620 to name a few), and the requirements that it be recorded. Food for thought.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cost of Certification vs. Benefit