Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 7018 Any Dia
- - By DRS Date 01-31-2007 04:31
Hello forum
My name is Dave. New to site but not new to welding. looking forward to sharing and gaining tons of info
from you guys and gals.
But really I have a burning question....Is 7018 coinsidered to be a "drag rod"?
I have been to school for welding (93) AND was never taught such
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-31-2007 06:58
Not really.  While E7018 can be laid pretty close, that is not what it is really designed for.

E7024 is a better example of a drag rod with it's thicker iron power flux coating.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-31-2007 16:47
My understanding of 'drag rod' is a rod of generally higher deposition and limited position capability. Generally, EXX2X or EXX3X. The additional deposition comes from iron powder contained in the flux, the coating of which is usually much larger than normal. And while E7018 also has iron powder in the flux it isn't in the proportion of what is considered 'drag rods'. The added iron powder also makes for a very fine ripple, requiring less skill to achieve more pleasing appearing welds.
Parent - - By DRS Date 02-01-2007 01:11 Edited 02-07-2007 03:58
Thanks guys.I knew as much. but things could of have changed since 93.:)
Its a funny story why all this comes into play.
In the middle of afew things BUT will explain next post.
Thank you again

Ok sorry i took a minute. Anyways a Linclon instructor came to the job for a
sussposed trainning a few weeks ago a least thats what i was told that it was going to be. He tried to brow beat us with the non-fact that ''all the documentation
he's ever read states that 7018 is a drag rod'' WOW! is what I said too.
That just fruther establishes why the weld world is going to hell in a hand basket
I realy belive that guy belived it was actually a drag rod.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-08-2007 17:55
Drag Rod? Is'nt that racing machine for the 1/4 mile track?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-08-2007 18:08
Welding slang on "documentation"?  Hmmm. From Lincoln??
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-08-2007 22:19
Hi all, this is my 2nd post here...just like you DRS new to the forums, not new to the trade.  Been welding for the Navy for 20+ years, and one thing you always hear the younguns...and I used to be one of 'em...talk about is 7018 as a drag rod. Truth is, in the flat position 7018 is as "dragable" as anything, makes a nice, flat bead with perfect toes.  Start going uphill, though, and you'll find out different.  And it doesn't take much uphill angle to see the difference!  I would have to say that the younger guys call 7018 a drag rod because it sounds cool, like they might sound knowledgeable for saying it.

Curt
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-08-2007 23:00
Welcome to the forum Boz...  I was a Navy welder too... But an Airdale

I think for the most part your right.

Both Low hydrogen electrodes like E7018 and Iron powder electrodes like E7024 are run with a "drag" angle in the flat and horizontal fillet position.

The difference is that the low hydrogens such as E7018 electrode is designed to be run with a 10-15 degree drag travel angle whilst the Iron powders like E7024 are designed to be run with a 40-45 degree travel angle. The more radical angle is why it is referred to as "drag rod" The extra thick flux in combination with the core wire burned inside of it create the perfect arc length when the rod is laid down at that 45 degree angle.

Trying to run E7018 with a 45 degree drag travel angle will result in an oblong weld pool, less than optimum penetration and probably lack of fusion in fillets.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-08-2007 23:09
Hello all, I've sat back and observed the various posts regarding this topic for a fair time now. MY TAKE: the use of the term drag rod is possibly a matter of symantics(hope I spelled that right). Much of the information that I have ever read will describe a manner in which to progress a weld. Use a push technique, Use a drag technique, oscillate the rod, drag the rod. One person's perception of drag rod would be referring to running E7024 electrode, start the rod, lay it against the surface of the material to be welded, let go of the stinger, walkoff and the rod will weld itself until it either shorts the stinger out or reaches the unshielded portion of the electrode wire and sticks until it turns redhot and melts off. To me, drag indicates a steady dragging of the rod as the weld progresses, but doesn't necessarily indicate allowing the rod to physically touch the material. Just my $.02, I hope everyone else has had as much fun with this topic as I have in reading all of the posts devoted to it. Regards, aevald
Parent - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 02-09-2007 03:07
I ti very funny how symantics come into play when welder slang is being used.  "Drag Rod" is one of them.  Clearly when used in the flat position most 7018 electordes will accomodate some amount of dragging against the surface being welded and you are right when the welding moves to another position other than #1.  What is so fasciantng to me when I put my inspector's hat is how many people actually try to persist in the dragging of this electrode against the surface being welded in out of position welds even when this practice is causing them difficulties and failed welds.  Lots of cussing and grinding for sure.  Expalin to them that the actual deposition of weld material by any process should not be that hard to accomplish when the correct technique is applied, They ( ususally rather new to the trade with a fresh cert from someone I never heard of) retort that they were told that this was a "drag electrode" by their grandfather, or their Vo Tech teacher or even the kid at the auto parts store where they buy their welding supplies and by God if they said it is "drag rod" then I must drag it for to work properly.  Persistence for sure!  Success in compliant work is typically a long ways awayat this point.  I often wonder if we renamed it to something like " You can drag it a little when using it in a flat position but don't recommend it when your welding horizontal, vertical or overhead 7018 rod"  if the determination by so many to make what it ain't might get redirected to something of greater benefit.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-09-2007 08:23
As of late, many of the factory reps I've run across have been more salesman than welding engineers. They are just not what they used to be in knowledge base.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-09-2007 22:22 Edited 02-09-2007 22:28
It may well be semantics but I believe when some one use's the term they should be corrected else develop some misconceptions and bad practices.

About 100 years ago we use to run tons of E7024 and yes you can rest in on the flux but it will get you in trouble if you get in the habit of doing so. But we never referred to it as "Drag Rod". Drag Roding is not fast as Jet Roding
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 7018 Any Dia