Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / certified vessel welder
- - By akeith Date 02-12-2007 15:57
do I need a certified vessel welder  to come and tack the  SN# plates on.  will we need to do "re-certifying the vessel".
I'm a AWS welder but not certified for vessel...
                     Thanks for responding
                           ALK

Note - it is possible that this may require R1 inspection
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 02-12-2007 16:06
First of all, any welding should be done in accordance with a qualified weld procedure, by a welder certified to use that procedure.  However, if that is simply not possible, (with the concurrence of your AI) you should try to locate the nameplate on a member other than a pressure boundary.  Some examples would be the vessel skirt or a support leg.  Locate the nameplate as close as possible without welding on the shell or head.

Charles
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-13-2007 15:41
This seems a good opportunity to jog a memory, if anyone can help since I don't have any ASME codes handy. There are special exemptions in ASME for WPS's involving low penetrating welds, or tacks. If memory serves it has to do with an HAZ limited to within 1/8" of the surface (even if it is a pressure boundary) or something of that sort. It was intended to simplify the very thing we are talking about here. Name plates , etc. In any case, this could be a very interesting discusssion.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-13-2007 22:03
Truthfully, on something like that if you can get by without a recertification I would do it. That's just me, but you know the deal : opinions are like***holes . . . .yadayada
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-13-2007 22:37
Most coded vessels require all welding to be done by a qualified welder. It does not make any difference if you are welding on a head or tacking on a nameplate. Now the tacker does not have to be qualified the same as the welder welding on the head, but the welder must be tested. That falls under Section IX. Someone welding on a nameplate will need to be qualified to do that job.
BABRT's
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-13-2007 23:41
Alright..."CERTIFIED VESSEL SHOP"

Sourdough's definition:  Anyone who is fully certified, and qualified to make code vessel welds and practices this regularly...................THEN gets greedy and hires a bunch of guys that he "trains" to do "quality" welds in the same shop that he operates. Ultimate outcome, vessels that fail.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-14-2007 14:19
The reason I brought that up is that we did literally 10's of thousands of capacitor discharge welds for nameplates and PWHT thermocouples. These welds did not have to be qualified by the standard ASME IX methods, although if other than CD welding the welders certainly did. And even if these welds were performed by another process, if memory it would have made no difference. Iwas hoping someone could clarify the most recent code revisions on this issue.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 02-14-2007 15:24
There is an exemption to the welds you talk about, but I don't think it is a blanket coverage for tack welds.  Tack welds have to be performed by a qualified welder, unless you plan on completely removing the tack.

I'm at home today, so I woun't be able to look up the exact wording for what you talk about, but you are correct.

Charles
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-14-2007 15:30
Thanks Charles. Any additional info would be appreciated. I try to stay in the loop on stuff I used to deal with and don't so much any more. You never know. Besides, it is applicable to this string.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-14-2007 17:37
Aw dang it! i figured I'd ruffle some feathers with my last post!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / certified vessel welder