Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stainless steel storage tanks
- - By MNSTRBLDR (**) Date 02-19-2007 15:10
Good morning everyone, besides API 650, is there any other code that specifically covers the fabrication of s.s. above ground storage tanks? 99.9% of the tanks we fab at our plant are flat bottom, 3/16" 316L AST's that are no more than 20' dia. and 20' tall. Appendix S doesn't really answer all of my questions. Thanks, Henry
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 02-19-2007 22:41
UL 142, API 12F What is it you are wanting to know?
BABRT's
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-21-2007 21:48
The difference between API 650 and API 12F, mentioned by dkhunna is the size.
API 650 applies to large, field erected tanks, whereas API 12F applies to smaller, shop fabricated tanks.
I don't have the standards on hand at this moment, so I can't tell you up to what size goes 12F and at what size 650 starts. You'll have to check.
There's also API 620 that applies to low pressure storage tanks (up to 10 psig), used for highly volatile liquids, i.e., liquids that have a high vapor pressure, and for this reason they have a dome roof.  Appendix R of API 620 applies to cryogenics tanks, i.e., those working at very low temperatures.
There's also AWWA D100, developed for water storage at atmospheric pressure. Actually, it's used also for non-flammable liquids. AWWA is the American Water Works Association.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stainless steel storage tanks