Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld bevel equipment
- - By Gunther Date 02-20-2007 13:59
Does anyone here know of a company that produces a beveling tool (cold beveling and not hot work) that could handle a large OD (16" +) and a 1 to 1.5 " wall thickness?

Appreciated
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-20-2007 15:02
Actually, many of them can handle big heavy stuff (Tri-tool, Protem, Wachs), and I am not recommending any of them. I am sure there are others. these are three that I have had experience with, and on materials as hard a Grade 91, and as large a 30". They all have advantages and disadvantages. The problem is rigidity and time. Make sure on the big pipe you use a cutter with a big heavy body to provide rigidity. This will directly influence the amount of pressure you can exert on the the pipe end. If memory serves this will be their largest portable units. And make sure they provide training from their techs. Experience is important to achieve efficient and quality results. There are tricks.
Parent - - By Gunther Date 02-22-2007 13:08
Thanks js55

I am looking at the 30" OD range for my application.
I have had a look at the Tri-tool website and it looks like they might be able to help.  Training might be a bit of an issue as we are located in Nigeria.
I will go and look at the other options you have mentioned.

Thanks again.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-15-2007 23:49
Did you find a unit todo that? How did it turn out? I may need to work on some pipe that size myself.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld bevel equipment