Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Manganese welding safety
- - By TimGary (****) Date 02-23-2007 20:37
Can anyone recommend proper safety equipment to be used while welding manganese?

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 02-24-2007 01:57
1.  Good downdraft or side draft ventilation if available - avoid overhead ventilation since it can draw the fume through the breathing zone.

2.  Good welding respirator (NOT a dustmask) that has been fit tested by an industrial hygenist.

3.  If welding is in a confined space, it may even be necessary to use an air-line respirator so that the breathing air is not taken from the compartment in which the welding occurs.

Thes recommendations apply to all welding - not just manganese, but stainless, nickel, cobalt and other high alloy welding consumables.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 02-24-2007 14:06
Phil is right. You can go to www.osha.gov and click on "Small Entity Compliance Guide for the hexavalent Chromium Standards". This applies to all forms of welding the alloy steels.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 02-24-2007 21:38
I welded a  full pallet of stoody 33 (turns out the rod was worth about a third of a years salary) and the company would not supply proper safety equip so i had to use fans, I have avoided any info on manganese, chromium, nickel cause i know that it was stupid to weld it like i did, and some day its gonna come back and haunt me. 
darren
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 02-25-2007 00:16
If you were in an open shop, or outdoors, and had the fans blowing down and across the arc, then you probably had reasonable ventilation for that product.

Stoody 33 has less than 1% manganese, but it does have higher levels of chromium (25%) and nickel (3%).

I would think seriously, though, about working for an employer that refuses to provide source extraction or respirators for this kind of work.
Parent - By devo (***) Date 02-26-2007 20:50
I used to work in a shop rebuilding underground coal mining equipment.  Lots of smoke, burning grease and coal dust, air arc gouging, welding over paint, you name it.  Our ventilation was a tall ceiling and closed doors.  We exclusively used FCAW-G, Lincoln's "Ultracore" electrode.  On the packaging it said in reference to the high manganese levels in the fume "if used indoors, local exhuast is required.  If used outdoors, a respirator may be required"  Now I was the only guy in the shop to use, or even own a respirator, but if the electrode maker says to use a respirator outdoors, the stuff can't be too good for you.  Long term manganese exposure leads to all sorts of fun stuff that will get your doctor that new boat he has always wanted, but it will get you brain damage, shaky hands, drooling, memory loss etc.  I tried to get one of my young co-workers to think about using a respirator one time.  I was switching filters and gave him the old one to inspect.  He tore it apart and shook out all of the dust that had accumulated and had a nice little pile of the stuff.  To all of you tough guy weldors out there, I have heard from many lawyers that welding fume is " the next asbestos" when it comes to personal injury litigation.  The cost of a respirator is fifteen bucks.  No they aren't comfortable, but neither is drooling on your shaking hands trying to remember what your kids names are.  Me, I'm saving up for an ultra sexy PAPR from 3M.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Manganese welding safety