Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Instructors
- - By bamaCWI (**) Date 02-17-2007 01:04
I had the great pleasure of being a guest speaker at the local vocational school. I enjoyed it very much but to my surprize about 1/3 of the students openly admitted that they had no intension of pursuing a welding career, they just wanted to get away from regular classes at their high school. With that being said I just want to say my hats off to the ladies and gentlmen who teach to a class when there is this kind of negativity in class. It has to be difficult to teach at different levels while trying to influence those who need it so much. Anyway just wanted to say Great job and just like welding, not just anyone can teach.
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 02-17-2007 12:48
Well thank you bamaCWI.  I teach welding at the high school level and it can get frustrating at times with students thinking it is just an easy class they can use to escape the high school english and math classes. 

I think that many start off that way but change their mind.  I do not make it an easy class.  I stress however that you do not have be a full time welder to benefit from the class.  Welding affects so much around us.  I try to tie it to their interests.  If they like working on cars and fixing them up than welding will help them.  If they work on a farm welding can help them.  If they just like to tinker around the house than sooner or later something will break and need welded.  So for the students that are sure they do not want to weld for a living I focus them on these aspects.  And I tell them it is always good to have something to fall back on.  A certified, good welder can get a job anywhere.

I also employ the use on many, many projects.  We build four-wheeler trailers and do a lot of speciality projects that bring the value of welding to their attention.  A lot of those students change their minds after the first course and continue to pursue welding.  Those that don't at least walk away with an understanding of what welding is and can use it at home, hobby or for fun in the future.

In the years I have been teaching welding I have had very few "bad" students with no interest in welding at all.  Most if not all enjoy working in the shop and being part of building something.  I make them learn the ropes of welding before they can participate or build their own project so that motivates them to burn rods and put forth effort.  They learn to enjoy that they can weld and build things of their own.  The good students far out weigh the bad and that's what makes the job enjoyable. 

Thank you again though for comments. 
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 02-27-2007 14:18
I did just what you speak of.  I took vocational welding as a senior as a way to get out of a few hours of regular classes.  Low and behold, I liked it..and was good at it.  I liked it so much I went on to get an AS in Welding Technology, BS in Welding Engineering Technology, AWS CWI/ CWE, and have since made a great career in the auto industry.  6 years ago I started my own welding company with the education and experience I gained over 10 years working in the industry.
Young adults don't see the possibilities sometimes, but for those who do, it' a great career.
Check out my new web site for our welding shop and the services we offer:

mdgwelding.com

Thanks,
Mark
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-01-2007 23:29
I have so much respect for my teacher and others who teach at vocational schools. I have about 2 more semesters left of welding and I will be welding for a living. I am 27 and am alot older then most the guys in the class there like 20 and 22 and younger. I don't know how my teacher does it, myself and two other students in the class are truley in class for wanting to truely learn to weld and do this for a living. There are like 5 or 6 others who are just screw ups. They don't understand when the teacher says you gotta burn a truck load of rods to get good. They think they can burn 5 rods allday long and be a pro welder. I had a really hard time learning to stick weld and I don't know what happend oneday it just clicked and everything just fell into place thank god because this was kinda my second chance of what I wanted to do with my life. It is sad yeah there are some high schoolers who just come in the afternoon to kinda learn a little but when they leave HS they want to do something else. It's sad I am to the point now when a new high schooler enters the class i don't bother remembering there name because they don't last very long. It is so sad seeing my teacher doing his best to try and teach these guys and they don't even want to lissen. I'm almost wanting to say what the h*ll are you doing in here wasteing his time and yours when he could be teaching one of the guys who want to learn this. Sorry guys I'm kinda venting here. I know I'm just the student and shouldn't care about this kinda stuff but D*m it P*sses me off.

So all I can say is keep teaching hard there are students in the class who truely do want to learn to weld so don't give up on them it's ruff but we truely do appreciate what you guys are doing. thanks

Chris
Parent - - By bphinson (*) Date 04-02-2007 18:14
Hey chris:
    Bradley here-let me tell you buddy that I definitely feel your pain. My welding class is much like yours...a bad rendition of the "bad news bears". But, let me tell you that you can always be that diamond in the rough. Persistence and that internal fire inside you will get you to where you want to be. There are only a handful of guys left in our class to finish out the semester. One can tell that these guys are the ones who are serious, want to learn, and are "hungry". So I'm at the point where I really don't care about everyone else in the class, except the few guys who I know will adapt and overcome despite adversity. Me and these few guys have really gotten tight and we stick together. We know that we will see the light at the end of the tunnel...it might not happen as quick as we may want it...but the day is coming. And remember that there are so many avenues you can take in the welding field. My plan is to finish out my pipe certification and then work for myself. Me and some guys have entertained the thought of opening up a shop with a rig on hand. The shop would provide many miscellaneous services but we would not production weld per say. I just get more and more excited when I pass through my old home town and picture how this vision will unfold. Someone has to step up and take charge. I believe that the average welder is around 55 yrs. of age and in nearing retirement, so someone must fill those shoes. Maybe picture this scenario as a "trial" meaning something your going through that tests you faith to the utmost...if your faith remains strong and true then you shall receive much reward. Hang in there buddy...I'm gonna fight this fight. Keep me posted on how things are going...BURN THEM RODS!!!!
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-02-2007 22:36
It's actually sad to hear there are other welding schools with the same problems as the one I go to with getting student to want to learn. I guess I shouldn't get to mad because with less people wanting to learn to weld will actually bring more jobs for me to pick and choose from.
I've been debating myself wheather I want to get a rig going after I get some experience. I guess what I'll be doing is whatever job I can get hopefully it will either be Tig or stick welding.

Chris
Parent - By Odie (*) Date 05-13-2007 02:04
Hello you made me think of being 15 with a 30 pound cast iron grinder with no guard and an a long bolt screwed in for the Handle..on my Fathers rig truck....man the 70s ..Now i Tell stories like an old fart..l8r Odie
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 04-02-2007 02:31 Edited 04-02-2007 02:40
Enthusiam builds enthusiasm! I push my students to excell as much as they can. I relate my prior welding experiences to our daily shop activities as much as possible. I also inform them of the opportunities available, to those with welding experience/training, in the field of NDT, NDE and general supervision.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 04-03-2007 03:51
I'm gonna tell you young welders, the price is only going up, up, up! Keep at it and learn well, cause the old guys are retiring, and your trade is getting more and more in demand. They are paying $32 hour and $65 day per diem in Texas right now for single hand pipe welders, and it's just gonna get higher.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-03-2007 05:35
maybe a real dumb question but what is diem??
Thanks

Chris
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 04-03-2007 06:01
per diem= diem is Latin for day. It's an allowance they pay you for living expenses, usually untaxed.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-03-2007 21:44
Thanks
Parent - By Odie (*) Date 05-13-2007 02:10 Edited 05-13-2007 02:18
Yes You are Right .I live right in Texas City..Combo Pipe Welders 27 to 32 and $60 to $70 a day trvl/pdeim .Rig Truck Combo Welders $30 on the arm & $13 On the Truck..and Climbing.NEEDED BAD !!!!! WELDERS RULE TEXAS.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Instructors