Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Precision Tig 225 and Anodized Aluminum
- - By Tiara3100 Date 03-01-2007 01:53 Edited 03-01-2007 02:01
I am considering purchasing a Lincoln Precision Tig 225 for some hobby welding, including Anodized Aluminum for marine use (Cooler rack, boat T-top, etc). Does any one have any experience with this combination? While I would like a syncrowave 250, the cost is a litle to high for hobby use. Any other suggestions or recomendations?
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 03-01-2007 02:03
How thick are the majority of your workpieces going to be? Also,you cannot weld the aluminum without 1st removing the anodizing at least at the joint to be welded.Also,there is a different filler rod requiered to weld with if you are going to have parts anodized/or/re-anodized.This filler rod is requiered because the standard al. filler rod will come out a different color than the surrounding non-welded portions.Usually much darker has been my experience.The lincoln is a good machine and should be fine for most applications.Are you going to be doing production-runs? If so and you are welding on thick pcs, you may hit the duty cycle on AC ,but if your not continuously welding on ove 5/16" aluminum,you should be just fine.Gary,......
Parent - By Tiara3100 Date 03-01-2007 02:57
I will not be welding anything thicker then 1/4" aluminum. I will try the "burn through" method of welding anodized aluminum they do at the local boat yard, but that will be on scrap pieces until I figure it out. There seems to be some special skills involved in doing that kind of welding. I have read everything I can find on this subject and would like to give it a try. Otherwise, I will be welding stainless steel and mild steel mostly.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln Precision Tig 225 and Anodized Aluminum