Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS & PQR for weld metal build up (or overlay?) per ASME IX
- - By Steve 7263 Date 03-01-2007 01:04 Edited 03-01-2007 01:32
Hello,
    I am a long time reader, first tiem poster.  Anyway, I am trying to work up a WPS & PQR for an all weld metal build up on the end of a piece of pipe.  Let me expand.  I started working for a company who makes stainless steel and other "high alloys" stub ends and one of my duties are to update and "certify" that we are doing what we are qualified to do.  Well, needless to say, I am not satisfied that we are.  We start with a peice of pipe and build up an all weld metal ring on one end.  The thickness varies from about .300" to .600" and the increase in OD is about 3.5" or 1.75" of build up. 

I have been looking through ASME IX for some answers.  It seems to me that a corrosion resistant overlay wouldn't really apply b/c the product going through the pipe will never touch the flange we are putting on it and to say we are hardfacing is a stretch.  Also, the weld is not a grove weld nor a fillet weld.

I think the WPS will not be much of a problem as long as I identify my variables and accurately recording what we are doing. The problem I am having is qualifying the WPS.  I am "stuck".  I don't know what kind of testing I need to do on this weldment to quailiy it. Could/should we do side bends?  Tensil tests would be very difficult if not impossible to do give the shape of the weld and there is no root or face.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Steve
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-01-2007 15:12
I don't remember anything in Section IX that will codify what you are doing. I don'tthink there is anything that prohibits it either. This falls under sounbda engineering judgment criteria.
You will need to develope your own testing regime and then work with engineering to approve its viability. I don't think configuration is a problem when it comes to testing. Plate is used under ASME to test for pipe.
Establish a coupon configuration that will allow you to adequately test strength and ductility (tensiles and bends). I wouldn't worry about toughness since you are dealing with SS unless some of this if intended for really low temps.
That seems to me to be a place to start anyway. I look forward to others chiming inhere.
Parent - - By Steve 7263 Date 03-02-2007 00:14
I think that's pretty much what I am going to do. I can weld one with an oversized OD and hopefully get some coupons out of to do tensil and bend tests. I should be able to do a side bend test with the weld metal and the pipe wall which would show me any lack of fusion problems and a tensil test with a sample of all weld metal.  A charpy impact test may not be a bad idea either...just to cover all bases. 

Another problem I am having is with the QC manual.  It says we are welding to ASME IX....I don't want to mislead anyone so I may have do do some rewording......

Thanks for the reply,
Steve 7263
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-02-2007 10:21
js55 advice is right on target.  Steve, your approach sounds reasonable too.  Although your particular situation may not be covered exactly by ASME IX I don't know why you couldn't qualify to it, it would just take a bit of evauation on your part... if you need some guidance for stating compliance with IX let me know.  Follow the variables for the intended process as a start.  If you intend to do CVN's make sure you follow the Supplementals too.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-02-2007 14:06
Hello Steve;

I don't see why you couldn't weld a plate in the flat position and test it in accordance with Section IX as you would any typical welding procedure.

Are you depositing weld metal on a base metal having the same F numbers or different F numbers? Just use the same F numbers (for the base metals) and the same A numbers (for the filler metals) as you will be using in production.

As for the QC manual, I would list the appropriate construction codes for the design, materials, fabrication, and inspection, and state that the WPSs are qualified in accordance with Section IX. Actual production welding usually has to meet the requirements and limitations of a construction code such as ASME B31.1 (Power Piping), B31.3 (Process Piping, Section VIII (Unfired Pressure Vessels, etc. The construction code is going to list the necessary welding requirements and inspection requirements, etc. Section IX is simply going to tell you how to qualify the WPS and the welders.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-02-2007 14:31
Steve,
I don't have a problem with Charpy's in your situation, if it is intended to provide you comfort, but keep in mind that even with 240 or 180 ft/lb machines you may end up with what we used to call 'hammer stoppers'. In other words, the SS impact strength may be so good you don't even get any data. You may have to drop your test temps really low in order to get a measurable fracture. This is really the biggest reason why you don't see impact requirements codified for austenitics.
Of course you could report it as being 'at least' those strengths. But I would have to ask what the value really is. Even the ferritics these days made of good materials (i.e. very low residuals), at moderate temps are stoppin hammers. I've seen E7018/E71T-1/EM12K/SA-572 stop hammers on 180 ft/lb machines at 30deg F.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-02-2007 14:58
As an addenda to my previous post I might add, thanks to Chuck and CWI555, that impact testing on autenitics is imposed in Cryo applications (Section VIII).
Parent - - By Steve 7263 Date 03-04-2007 14:30
Thanks for the input,
     We are we not actually joining two base metals, so different F numbers couldn't happen here.  I am not sure about welding a 1G plate because of the way we weld in production.  In production, we chuck up a piece of pipe, rotate it and weld on one end.  The problem I am having with qualifling a flat plate is that we couldn't weld it on our production machines.  We could weld plates manually.....would that be too far of a stretch??

Thanks again,
Steve
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-04-2007 16:03 Edited 03-04-2007 16:10
I suppose you could build up the end of the pipe with the machine welding process, then prep if for a groove and manually weld it to another pipe.  Then perform the required tensile, bend and impact tests.  This would qualify both the machine welding process and the manual process that was used. 

What welding process is being used for the buildup?  A change from manual welding to automatic or machine welding is a nonessential variable (QW-410.25), so a manual qualification with the same process could be used.
Parent - - By Steve 7263 Date 03-04-2007 17:00
We are using GMAW spray and pulsed.  We build own machines and hold a patent on them and the way we make these stub ends.  I've shown several people a 2"/10s stub end and their reaction is always....why don't you forge them?  All I can say is "that's not what we do."  Our 1/2", 3/4", and 1" stub ends are machined from bar stock.  I guess the way we make larger sizes more cost effective than a forging but I don't have anything to do with the business side of things.

I am a little confused.  If I maunually weld a butt joint and put it through the tests that would qualify the welded stub end?  It seems to me that the joint is an essential variable and going from a grove weld to a build up would be a stretch.  I remember seeing in the code where the briefly talk about the build up and the base metal thickness of 1 1/2" and greater but I didn't seem to think that would apply to us because some of the pipe is pretty thin, particullarly 3"/10s.

Thanks for the help,
Steve
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-04-2007 18:10
For GMAW, a change in joint design is a nonessential variable (except a qualification for fillet welds, hard surfacing or corrosion-resistant overlay does not qualify groove welds). 

A groove weld qualification on material over 3/8" thick will only cover base metal thickness down to 3/16", so if you have materials less than 3/16" thick you will need to do a qualification on material 3/8" thick or less to qualify a range down to 1/16".
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-04-2007 18:01
I should add that this would not qualify the buildup process for making groove welds.  The rules for buttering in QW-283 should be followed for the thickness limits of the buildup.  If there is any way to perform a groove weld qualification with the same process, manual or machine, this would simplify the qualification tests.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-04-2007 15:56
ASME IX does address the qualification of weld metal buildup using a groove weld qualification test in QW-202.3:

QW-202.3 Weld Repair and Buildup.WPSqualified
on groove welds shall be applicable for weld repairs to
groove and fillet welds and for weld buildup under the
following provisions:
(a) There is no limitation on the thickness of base
metal or deposited weld metal for fillet welds.
(b) For other than fillet welds, the thickness range for
base metal and deposited weld metal for each welding
process shall be in accordance with QW-451, except there
need be no upper limit on the base metal thickness provided
qualification was made on base metal having a
thickness of 1-1/2 in. (38 mm) or more.

Does anyone know how this buildup is addessed in ASME B16.5 for the stub end flanges?  I always thought the stub ends were machined from forgings.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-04-2007 19:28
I think your correct in regards to B16.5, but there is not any restriction that I am aware of for doing something else.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-04-2007 19:26
Steve,

It's been a few years since I've witnessed this, but as I recall, one of the northern nuclear plants got a similar situation approved by the NRC for piping. It required the full battery of test, cvn, bend, tensile, microhardness (10kg load vickers). Granted it was not a primary system, but that they approved it at all was enough. What I recall was different was in that the cvn was required to be performed as per normal, but with additional zones to cover the built up, as well as the piping/weld interface. The pipe to weld build up interface was also called the root area for purposes of testing, and the build up area itself had the additional charpys. As I recall the end of the pipe could not be used as bend and tensiles could not be drawn from it, so they made the build up area in the center of a pipe piece and used the cross section for the testing area. I don't know what your application is, but if you do the full battery you've done everything that can be reasonably expected by the code. BTW your thought process is spot on, the initial app to the ANI tried to call it hardfacing, then corrosion resistant. The ANI did not buy into either, but did buy into the build up scheme. If this material is SS, I suggest keeping a close eye on interpass temps and keeping them as low as can be reasonably achieved.

Bear in mind all that is coming from a long distant memory so I may have screwed up some of the details.

My two cents worth

regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-05-2007 15:40
Let's keep in mind what it is we are actually trying to measure here. The viability of the weldment itself. As ASME codifies the joint design is non essential. So what you want is fusion, bonding, tensile strength , ductility, etc. A flat plate test can certainly demonstrate in a manner that can be extrapolated to the configuration being used.
We used to do something very similar in power on a daily basis. The ID would be C-bored at the ends in order to match bore. This would reduce the thickness below spec min wall, so we would have to build back up a circumferential 'knob' on the OD at the end of the pipe to maintain min wall. Sometimes these knobs were quite thick.
We qualed through standard ASME IX tensiles and bends.
I do not think impacts are necessary for two reasons. First this is not a nuke as suggested by Gerald. Secondly, even Section III does not require impacts for austentics, which we are discussing here. And even when other codes require impacts on austenitics the temps are really low.
Now, if you wish to do impacts to buttress your procedure thats up to you, but unless you are testing for low temps at low temps the data will most likely be useless. You may not even get the hammmer to provide a full fracture. Without fracture you have no viable recoil, or comprehensive lateral expansion.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-05-2007 23:11 Edited 03-06-2007 03:11
All I reported was the fix I had noted in the past. I did not say it directly applied as I did not know the specifics. When I replied, without knowing specifics I went to the more stringent.

"edit" After re-reading the post, I don't see anywhere where it was specified what it was for.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-06-2007 14:37
Gerald,
I understood what you meant. I just used your post as an example for clarifying the idea that Steve needs to first grasp what it is he is actually asking of his weldment (in your case the idea of impacts), and with a consideration for the material and its service, tailor a testing regime for that. My thought is that even though Section IX does not explicitly address his application it is not really that unusual. The material properties he desires are all there. This is what engineering is really all about.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-06-2007 17:36
Fair enough, your are correct in in the idea of tailoring a regime for it.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / WPS & PQR for weld metal build up (or overlay?) per ASME IX