Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / panasonic robot
- - By 2002685 (*) Date 12-20-2006 19:04
Hey guys,

I am a bit overwhelmed!  I have this robot down in our shop at the college where I work as a welding instructor.

I am going to start teaching a course on this bad boy in the new year and don't know much about robots.

who has some know how that I can keep in touch with throughout the new year.

and by the way, Merry Christmas AWS gang from Calgary Alberta!

Cody Blackmore
SAIT Welding
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-21-2006 02:20
Hello Cody, is this a new robot? or is it a used one that has been donated to the program? If it is new there should be some factory tech support that would be available to you from the manufacturer. You may have to pull some strings and be persistent, but you should be able to get some help here, especially since you are in a teaching institution. In many cases reps will be more apt to help you out since their equipment is the one your students will learn on and this is a good sales promotion for their product. If it is a used or donated robot, is there a possibility that the donor would be able to help you out? Even in this case you might be able to contact a panasonic rep and gain some help and insight. Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Good luck and regards, aevald  A fellow welding instructor from Washington state, USA and merry christmas to you folks too!
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-26-2006 18:41
where in WA?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-26-2006 23:36
Hello hogan, from previous posts that I have seen of yours, I believe that you are located in Portland? I am up in Longview, WA., about 40 some miles north of the interstate bridge, up I-5. Happy Holidays and regards, Allan
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-26-2006 23:42
if you don't mind me asking, who do you work for?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-27-2006 00:42
Hello again hogan, no I don't mind. I have a full-time position as a welding instructor at Lower Columbia College in Longview and I also do WABO testing out of the college as well. I also have worked for some of the various shops in our area and have done a number of shut-downs for Weyerhaeuser at times when I have had breaks from the college. When I was living in Portland, I worked for Jones Heavy Equipment Products, Transco Industries, and Isley Welding Services. Have been pretty fortunate to have had a wide variety of different experiences relative to welding and shop management type positions. Do you work for one of the large shops in Portland? Regards, Allan
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-27-2006 15:14
working at a fab shop for the first time. decided to slow down and enjoy life after becoming happily divorced. the first half of my carrer i jumped around the testing labs in portland, the second half was contract mostly api work at plants. weyerhaeuser in longview, spent a lot of time there. recovery #10, the cogen, and when the new digester was built. memories of that place are so vivid i can't believe its been 10 years scince i worked there.
Parent - - By 2002685 (*) Date 01-02-2007 20:46
Happy New year boys, and thanks for the responses.

takes me forever to get back to the postings these days.

Anyhow, I have arranged for some training to come to me before I TOTALLY WRECK THE 80 000 dollar toy!

thank again

cody
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-02-2007 21:27
Hello Cody, glad to hear that you got some help. You'll have to let us know how this all plays out for you. Definitely don't want to grenade an 80,000 dollar unit. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By 2002685 (*) Date 03-07-2007 18:53
just checking if my password changes
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / panasonic robot