Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Time zone check
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-06-2007 21:57
Is Indiana GMT -5:00? Figured it out on my own , thanks anyway.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-07-2007 04:33 Edited 03-07-2007 04:37
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is a term originally referring to mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich in England. It is now often used to refer to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) when this is viewed as a time zone, although strictly UTC is an atomic time scale which only approximates GMT in the old sense. It is also used to refer to Universal Time (UT), which is the astronomical concept that directly replaced the original GMT.

Noon Greenwich Mean Time is not necessarily the moment when the Sun crosses the Greenwich meridian (and reaches its highest point in the sky in Greenwich) because of Earth's uneven speed in its elliptic orbit and its axial tilt. This event may be up to 16 minutes away from noon GMT (this discrepancy is known as the equation of time). The fictitious mean sun is the annual average of this nonuniform motion of the true Sun, necessitating the inclusion of mean in Greenwich Mean Time.

Historically the term GMT has been used with two different conventions for numbering hours. The old astronomical convention (before 1925) was to refer to noon as zero hours, whereas the civil and more modern convention is to refer to midnight as zero hours. The more specific terms UT and UTC do not share this ambiguity, always referring to midnight as zero hours.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-07-2007 19:16
So! Do really have time for all this?:>)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-07-2007 21:13
LOL no not really, however, curiousity got the better of me as I had never paid any attention to the time stamp before, and didn't know what the GMT was. The question never asked is knowledge never gained.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-08-2007 23:29
Agreed, I was just being a smarty pants fo no good reason. I actually found the information interesting.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-09-2007 16:12
Gerald, congratulations for the lesson on Astronomy you gave us.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Time zone check