Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Inspectors Looking for a Job Beware
- - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-07-2007 22:09
There is a new scam going around for those using a database like hotjobs, the NDE.org and inspectionjobs.com. You will get an email offering employment. The scammer will have an impressive website to go to when you link to it. If you include your phone number they will call you and tell you they have a job that pays $XX. Mine was $75. They need additional information for the application. Name, DOB, Place of birth, SS# and DL#. They get all this information PLUS your employment history. I believe this is a new twist on the Nigerian scams. Go through your resume. Be sure there are no SS# or DL#'s on the resume. NEVER give this information on the phone. My radar went clicking when they would not give any information on job location or sub. This is very common information to offer to see if you are interested. Most legitimate inspection/inspector recruiting companies will even tell you who the client is. For someone breaking into inspection, this request may seem fine. The only time you send personal information is AFTER a job offer. I usually do not offer a SS#. This is needed only for a drug test and this information can be given at the clinic.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-08-2007 04:23
Sounds like an identity theft scam to Me too.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-08-2007 11:07
Thank you for this notice  I would have filled out the aplication, if I was applying for a job!  I wouldn't easily give that information under most circumstances, but everyone knows such information is required for employment. This was a really good catch!  Your advice seems sound.  Please send it out in all the topic strings. 
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 03-10-2007 11:06
You can usually tell by their return email address. They cllaim to be representing a big company like shell but have a yahoo or hotmail address.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CWI Inspectors Looking for a Job Beware