Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pre-employment tests
- - By sarahc Date 03-08-2007 14:58
I work for a metal stamping company and we're looking to start doing some mig welding in-house. I'm trying to find qualified, experienced people but know very little about welding processes (I am working on educating myself further in this)...  I was thinking of conducting some pre-employments tests to help chose the best people. Do other welding shops use any tests?  Are there specific tests I should purchase or do I bring people in and have them do sample welds on our actual parts?  I am just looking to hire the best people for the job and am curious as to how other shops go about doing this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Parent - By chall (***) Date 03-08-2007 15:20
Find out what the applicable construction code (standard) is for the product you manufacture.  Typically the standard will specify the requirements for welding.  It will normally address the welding procedure and performance qualifications for welders.

If you can't find out what the standard is, purchase AWS D1.1 and look there for guidance.  Before anyone can really help you there are a number of questions that need to be answered:
What is the base metal specification and grade?
What is the thickness of the compenents welded?
Are they fillet welds or full penetration?
What is (are) the positions the welds will be made in?
What process do you use?

These are a few to get started.

Good luck.
Charles
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 03-08-2007 17:42
To avoid possible conflicts, it's wise to have a third party contractor provide a pre-employment screening. It tends keeps everything on an even playing field.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-08-2007 17:45
fbrieden; if I read your response properly, I "think" you may be referring to drug screening or other than weld testing, which is the way I read the question.  When all else falls short, try calling some local temp firms to see what they might offer in "qualified" welders.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 03-08-2007 20:50
I should have used better verbiage. I was refering to a third party to screen welding candidates for their ability as a welder, prior to employment. I do this for several firms in my area, and drug screening is a given at all of them.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-09-2007 05:24
I worked for a plant that manufactured automobile frames. Tests for welders were on actual parts, actual conditions. This plant didn't require code compliance, the actual welding was nothing like pipeline or structural work. This was sub assembly and  assembly line MIG welding, no prep work, one chance and done. There was drug testing 20 years ago, and by 15 years ago hiring was done through Pensylvania Job Services, or what most call the UN Employment office. I think this was supposed to establish  fair acess to everyone in a plant where nepitism was the old standard. You are wise to learn all You can about the welding required for Your products, Not only do You need to know good from bad, but You will need to know how to estasblish proper parameters and procedures for the work, and train welders if You can't hire people with sufficient skills. Perhaps You need to hire someone in this capacity.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pre-employment tests