Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Non-indenting format
- - By ross (***) Date 03-07-2007 21:25 Edited 03-13-2007 13:24
Within this forum board (OTB&G), we are testing the idea of not indenting the replies. Please let me know if you'd like the whole forum set like this one is.

Ross
AWS Marketing

Edit added later (3/13/07): We have gone back to indenting, so that's what you'll see here now.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-07-2007 21:36
I dont think it matters one way or another to me.  Of what benefit is it?  Ahhh, space savings, good idea!
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-07-2007 21:40
Someone had complained about the indenting once. Maybe not a big deal.

Ross
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-07-2007 23:52 Edited 03-08-2007 00:21
In my opinion (for what it's worth) I like the Non-indenting format, because it allows me to view more veribage at a single glance at the computer monitor. It facilitates looking at privious text more easily. This keeps me from going into my tool bar to make the text smaller. Some of Stephans replys are lengthy. (smiley face goes here)
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-08-2007 02:06
But this way you don't know who the reply is connected to.
Bill
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-08-2007 12:23
Yes, I see that. That's a possible drawback.
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 03-08-2007 13:59
I prefer the indent exactly for that reason.  You can adjust the intenting to make it smaller indents thus saving space if you wish simply by going to OPTIONS.  So if someone wants no indent, they can simply set the value to zero.  That will be the best of both world for all IMHO.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 03-08-2007 22:27
I like the idea of a variable indent.  If you can't do that, make the standard indent smaller (because the heavily indented threads do get a little annoying).  You don't need much to make it visibly clear who's responding to what.

Hg
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 03-08-2007 23:27
To solve the "who is this post replying to" situation, how about adding a "quote" button to each post.  That way if there's 20 posts and I want to reply to post #8, I would click the "quote" button and it would be incorporated into my post.  That way everyone can see exactly who I'm replying to, or in regards to.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-09-2007 13:53
By new tito  Date 03-08-2007 18:27  To solve the "who is this post replying to" situation, how about adding a "quote" button to each post.  That way if there's 20 posts and I want to reply to post #8, I would click the "quote" button and it would be incorporated into my post.  That way everyone can see exactly who I'm replying to, or in regards to.

This could make long post really long or we could each get in the habit of identifying which post we are replying to.???
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-09-2007 16:04
Default indenting for new users is currently set for 2%. I use 1% for my own. Users who registered before January might have a wider default indent in their account. This can be changed by each user.

Ross
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-09-2007 17:44
I like the indenting or some method to see the context of the individual posts.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-09-2007 17:53
new tito:

> To solve the "who is this post replying to"
> situation, how about adding a "quote" button to
> each post.  That way if there's 20 posts and I want
> to reply to post #8, I would click the "quote"
> button and it would be incorporated into my post. 
> That way everyone can see exactly who I'm replying
> to, or in regards to.

Like this?

Ross
AWS Mktg
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 03-09-2007 18:47
Something like that.  Another forum I visit has it to where when the quoted post is part of another post, the quoted part is inside a "rectangle" which has a different background color.  this box contains the screen name of the quoted post, and the entire post.  The quoted post can also be edited to cut out certain info if the quoter only chooses to respont to a certain topic, sentence, subject, etc. 
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-09-2007 18:58
new tito:

> Something like that.  Another forum I visit has it
> to where when the quoted post is part of another
> post, the quoted part is inside a "rectangle" which
> has a different background color.  this box
> contains the screen name of the quoted post, and
> the entire post. 

On ours, the quoted post is greyed slightly (instead of having a box), and the screen name of the quotee is automatically inserted. The quote gets a 60-character width to make it stand out.

> The quoted post can also be
> edited to cut out certain info if the quoter only
> chooses to respond to a certain topic, sentence,
> subject, etc.

That works on this forum, too. It looks line anything preceded by the bracket sign (at the beginning of a line) gets greyed into a quote style.

> Yep, you can do this manually, too. (This line is not a quote from new tito.)

Ross
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-09-2007 19:00
new tito:

> Another forum I visit...

You been two-timin' us?
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 03-09-2007 19:01
As someone stated above, I think adding these quotes will lengthen the threads significantly without truely contributing to this fine experience.  I vote no on that idea.  This forum is great and I enjoy learning from it.  I used to take a few minutes every day or two to visit and scan through here.  While I like the new format and almost all the newer topic headings added in the last year, visiting this forum is no longer something that can be done as quickly.  I find it taking more of my time to visit.  The fact that there are more contributors and more areas to contribute and learn from is good.  But that said, I would not be in favor of lengthening unnecessarily.  I have been to other forums and seen the quote boxes and always been happy that this one did not have them.  It is easy enough to scroll up if I need to and also easy enough for someone to copy and paste quotes if they feel the overwhelming urge to.  I vote no.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-09-2007 19:13 Edited 03-09-2007 19:26
thcqci:

> As someone stated above, I think adding these
> quotes will lengthen the threads significantly
> without truely contributing to this fine
> experience. 

Does vertical length of a thread really increase the time it requires? The way the quotes are greyed, you can just sort of skip them, except when you are disoriented. The other thing with the non-threaded, non-indented style, is that all the newest posts go to the bottom (in date order), instead of being inserted under the the post you are replying to -- which can be top, middle, anywhere. To me, it takes more time to bounce up and down through the topic. And as for non-indented WITHOUT quoting, that's a real time burner IMHO - looking through the whole topic for what people are responding to. Especially when they start their post with "As someone stated above..." :)
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-09-2007 21:04
ross , if it isn't broke why fix it , gets confusing for me trying to keep up i'm not a computer person and this web tv i have will not access all the things everybody puts on here i can view some of the pictures that are sent in , they are nice . if you are looking for something to do to justify your job put on an easy to use spell-checker and a language translator so guys like me (old dinosaurs) can read some of the spanish . as far as the light grey its hard for me to view on my screen . thanks again for all the nice things you do on the forum . good luck . willie
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-10-2007 14:03
DITTO!
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-12-2007 01:54
Another DITTO here. ('cept that I don't think Ross is trying to justify his job- he's just trying to do a good one.)
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-12-2007 17:54
It's easy to change it back. Thanks for participating in the experiment.

Ross
AWS Mktg

P.S. I'll change it back in a few days in case more comments come in. (I hope changing it back doesn't do something weird with the arrangement of posts in the O.T. Bar & Grill.)
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-12-2007 19:13
Chet Thanks for pointing that out. I missed it. And thanks to Ross for his efforts and a fine job it is lad :-). Keep up the good work.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 11:12
ross:

> new tito:
>
> You been two-timin' us?

Me too....<grin>

The OTHER forums use a rectangular box to contain the "quoted" material and it usually has a slightly different background color and is marked as ...quote by: poster's name

just a suggestion, but I don't really see anything wrong with the greyed out text like you have done....
OK that was my 2 cents worth, I'll go back to sleep now......
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-13-2007 11:21
Glad to see your improvements of the forum Ross. Good job.
I vote for a spell checker and indenting format.

Thanks,
Tim Gary
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-13-2007 13:47 Edited 03-13-2007 14:52

>Glad to see your improvements of the forum Ross. Good job.
>I vote for a spell checker and indenting format.

>Thanks,
>Tim Gary

Spell checking can't be done on the fly by the forum software, because the forum is not a program that runs on your computer. There would have to be an intermediate step, where you would submit your post to the forum, and it would run a check, then it would have to allow you to approve the spelling corrections. With all the acronyms and technical jargon used on this forum, it wouldn't work very well.

However, a free fix is to download the Firefox web browser, which has spell checking built in. It's working for me on on this post right now, checking my spelling as I type.

Someday there may be another solution. (We'd also like to have automatic language translation.)

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 13:51 Edited 03-13-2007 13:54
Free Spell checker....

http://www.iespell.com/

to download.... http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Once installed, you simply highlight the text to be spell checked and right click...then in that menu choose "check spelling"
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-13-2007 19:46
Thanks John!

That's a heck of a lot simpler than copying and pasting back and forth from a word .doc.

Tim
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 19:55
A while ago somebody posted about this spell checker, so I kept the link and I use the heck out of it and have become dependant....LOL

Best part it is free! .....and easy to use
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-14-2007 03:48
Translation- sometimes good sometimes not but the best I know of
http://world.altavista.com/
Bill
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-13-2007 11:39
I desperately need the indentation so I can tell who's yelling at who in the "where's the jokes" thread.

Hg
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-13-2007 13:17
OK, indentation is on again. Thanks again for trying out the alternative.

Ross
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-14-2007 04:35
If  We are going to have indentation, I might as well learn how to use it. Anybody care to explain it to Me?
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-14-2007 11:33

> If  We are going to have indentation, I might as well learn how to use it.
> Anybody care to explain it to Me?

When someone (like for me right now for example) replies to your post, the reply appears indented to the right below your post, so everyone can see it's a response to your original thought. The amount of indentation is adjustable in your "options" settings.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-15-2007 03:06
Thanks, Ross.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 12:37
HgTX:
........ so I can tell

> who's yelling at who in the "where's the jokes"
> thread.
>
> Hg

So...I'm not they only one who's noticing all of the bickering back and forth as of late......
Sorry Jon, but I disagree, there is more than usual here lately, IMHO.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-14-2007 15:50
Naw!  No yelling. Well I did use upper case for a little bit :-(  but we were just establishing some ESSENTIAL VARIABLES.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Non-indenting format